Hint of Vinegar in the wine room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebiedoo

Reaction score
I got back frojm being out of town for a week and realized I had made a cardinal sin :slp:slp:slp
I had left a carboy with watered down Lee's (from racking) in the bottom. While I was dumping it in the sink i think i smelled a hint of vinigar :s Should I used this carboy again? what to I do with the sink? AAAHHHHH!!!!

I guess i don't understand why this is a large problem. i have left lees sitting in the bottom of a carboy for a few days (got distracted) and i re-used the carboy and it's been fine.
I'm assuming that you are concerned that the Acetobacter (vinegar mother) will turn your wine into vinegar? i think that cleaning and sanitizing the jug will be sufficient to kill the bacteria, though if you are very concerned about it you could run it through your dishwasher on "sanitize" without any detergent. that would kill most everything that is in it.
personally i wouldn't be too concerned, just keep it clean and mostly sterile next time you use it.

Latest posts

Back