Highbush Cranberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice color Scott....Have been watching this thread...Looks very interesting.....I did spot some high bush cranberries while deer hunting this year...Maybe next year...
smiley2.gif

Thanks Bert,
Is there such a thing as using too many berries? I used 4 bags that had about 4-41/2 lbs in each, was trying for 6 gallons but the straining bag must have taken up alot of room in the primary. Squeezed the dickens out ofthe bag when transferedgot about a gallon out of it which made the color quite a bit darker.
sorry just ramblin here, will keep ya posted of next step.

Ramble-a-way.....to much fruit with high acid content could be a problem....but things sound like they are moving along , lets see what happens....good luck

I bottled mine yesterday. My smeller must be to sensitive. This still smells bad to me.
smiley36.gif

Bert if you happen to need more berries and you don't mind making a road trip. I know you can find a lot of them.
smiley4.gif

Would love to make a road trip, but fall is a very busy time for me , not much time off......need to to make the best use of my fruit gathering time as I can.....so it is, but thanks would be great to get togather..

You don't have to make it very early. Those thing hang on the bush until next spring. Then sometimes the birds eat them and sometimes they don't. They are a little prettier to look at earlier.

Scott did you get that head space filled or rack to smaller vessel yet? as for primary, it looks like you were right at the 6 gallon mark, when doing a fruit wine always start with more then what you are looking for in the end. I always start with about 6.75 for a 6 gallon batch. This way you have extra for when you do your 2nd and maybe even 3rd racking.
Edited by: wade

Wade I will transfer today at lunch, just have to not test too much. Thanks for the advice to get 6 gal batch.

Bottled the High Bush today, took some sweetin to get the bitter taste subdued, should be ok.
20090214_171737_high_bush_002_S.jpg

Swill once said it might take an 'acquired taste'....
smiley4.gif

I found the berries are something your put in your mouth and chew...spit out and the flavor that lingered to me tasted like wine....

Someday, when our bushes mature...I too will make this wine....
Wonder why nothing ever eats these berries....?
The fact that they smell like dirty feet????

Bears are the only thing I've seen eat the berries, besides me trying one or two.

By golly with 5 gallons I'd better acquire a taste
smiley4.gif

Opened a bottle and is pretty tart. Bottled in February and did sweeten prior, think it would have been good to blend with something like apple or raspberry or maybe brandy? Give it some more time.

Just an update:

Tried another bottle and still very tart, thumbs down from the tasters, going to have to open all of them and blend with something sweet.

Cranberry/Blackberry?

Sounds like a good mix. You could also just hold on since cranberries will be in season soon and make some more and blend.
VC

VC
Kinda leary of putting any more cranberries in. One tester mixed it with commercial blackberry and it was good. Not sure what to do yet, thanks

Opened all the bottles and mixed some Blackberry wine, campden tabletsand simple syrup and rebottled, will give it one more try.

Thanks Pelican from now on the bears can have them little red buggers!

Latest posts

Back