High starting brix - stuck/slow fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixdoubleo

Reaction score
I have a zin that I started from 250lbs of grapes. The grapes started at a very high brix (30 brix) and I'm having trouble getting it to ferment dry. I'm at 21 days in and my SG is still at 1.003-1.004. I'm wondering what my options are here. I'll try to give as much detailed info without boring you guys....

Got the grapes Oct 2. Winery said they were 27 brix. I SO2'd and cold soaked them 2 days (40lbs of ice in trash bags set into the must). After the 2-day cold soak, I measured 30 brix...but thought perhaps pulp/skins and other sludge might have been affecting my measurement...so I decided not to adjust with any water.

Day 1 - (Oct 4) Starting brix: 30 (1.130 SG). Started fermentation with RC-212. Added FermaidK and DAP. Fermented in 2 20 gallon brute cans. Every day, 3-4 times a day I punched down the cap and stirred the mixture well. Temperature in the room was 73-75 degrees.

Day 6 - Down to 9-10 brix (1.030-1.040 SG)

Day 7 - Down to 7 brix (1.025 SG) Added ML Culture, CH16.

Day 8 - Didn't get a hydrometer reading as my hydrometer broke. Due to availability of the press, I had to press today, even though the brix is still around 5-7. I pressed into three carboys. Kept free-run, 1st and 2nd press separate. Added more FermaidK & DAP. Left lots of airspace in carboy (wine level at fattest portion of cylinder) so fermentation could complete. Put airlocks on all three carboys.

Day 9 - 2.5 brix (1.010 SG)
Day 10 - 2.5 brix (1.010 SG)
Day 11 - 2.5 brix (1.010 SG)

Once I saw the same SG for three days straight, I feared that fermentation had stopped. I figured that the RC-212 yeast just simply couldn't support this alcohol level. So I decided to get a starter going with EC-1118 and then add that to each carboy.

Day 13 - Added EC-1118
Day 14 - 1.009 SG
Day 15 - 1.009 SG
Day 16 - 1.006 SG
Day 17 - 1.005 SG
Day 18 - 1.004 SG
Day 19 - 1.004 SG
At this point, no longer seeing pressure in the airlocks, and fearing that things were again stuck, I topped up the carboys.
Day 20 - 1.004 SG
Day 21 - 1.003 SG (one carboy at 1.003, the other 1.004)

So that's where I'm at today. I now realize that I should have added water to this thing. I guess I thought I'd end up with a "big" wine, but now realize that 30 brix was just too much to start with. Also, I think I might have pressed too soon?

How should I progress from here? It's still sitting on all the sediment from pressing, but the carboys are topped up and airlocked. Should I just wait it out? I'd like to at least get this thing down to 1.000SG. I'm also concerned that I haven't racked off the sediment or added more SO2 since fermentation.

Will this thing eventually go dry on its own or am I stuck with a dessert wine?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:
I would just leave it alone for another week or so and then check the SG. If it is still not moving, I would rack it and sulfite it. You aren't far from completely dry. You already have a high alcohol wine so getting anything else going would be touch. I bet if you leave it alone for a bit longer it will make it under 1.000. You certainly do not have a sweet dessert wine at 1.003.

Id too would give it some more times but with that high a starting gravity and a yeast with a tolerance of only 16% you probably hit its toxicity limit. you more then likely should have diluted the must down with acidified water to 25 brix.

OK, I'll give it another week.

Regarding the SG level and my "dessert wine" comment...the sugar on this thing is very high (by taste). Wouldn't the high alcohol content of this thing skew the SG reading...basically making it read lower than it really is?

Are you using a hydrometer or refractometer. As far as I know each are pretty accurate as long as you use the right #'s if using refract.

A hydrometer.

As I understood it, a higher alcohol wine will cause the hydrometer reading to be lower because alcohol weighs less than water.

So considering two wines...

Wine A: 13% alcohol at 1.000 SG
Wine B: 17% alcohol at 1.000 SG

Wine B has more residual sugar because the extra 4% alcohol is bringing the SG reading down.

Is this thinking correct?

Its true that this will throw off a slightly off # but for hobbyists this is way close eneough at these levels.

I have a zin that I started from 250lbs of grapes. The grapes started at a very high brix (30 brix) and I'm having trouble getting it to ferment dry. I'm at 21 days in and my SG is still at 1.003-1.004. I'm wondering what my options are here. I'll try to give as much detailed info without boring you guys....

Got the grapes Oct 2. Winery said they were 27 brix. I SO2'd and cold soaked them 2 days (40lbs of ice in trash bags set into the must). After the 2-day cold soak, I measured 30 brix...but thought perhaps pulp/skins and other sludge might have been affecting my measurement...so I decided not to adjust with any water.

Day 1 - (Oct 4) Starting brix: 30 (1.130 SG). Started fermentation with RC-212. Added FermaidK and DAP. Fermented in 2 20 gallon brute cans. Every day, 3-4 times a day I punched down the cap and stirred the mixture well. Temperature in the room was 73-75 degrees.

Day 6 - Down to 9-10 brix (1.030-1.040 SG)

Day 7 - Down to 7 brix (1.025 SG) Added ML Culture, CH16.

Day 8 - Didn't get a hydrometer reading as my hydrometer broke. Due to availability of the press, I had to press today, even though the brix is still around 5-7. I pressed into three carboys. Kept free-run, 1st and 2nd press separate. Added more FermaidK & DAP. Left lots of airspace in carboy (wine level at fattest portion of cylinder) so fermentation could complete. Put airlocks on all three carboys.

Day 9 - 2.5 brix (1.010 SG)
Day 10 - 2.5 brix (1.010 SG)
Day 11 - 2.5 brix (1.010 SG)

Once I saw the same SG for three days straight, I feared that fermentation had stopped. I figured that the RC-212 yeast just simply couldn't support this alcohol level. So I decided to get a starter going with EC-1118 and then add that to each carboy.

Day 13 - Added EC-1118
Day 14 - 1.009 SG
Day 15 - 1.009 SG
Day 16 - 1.006 SG
Day 17 - 1.005 SG
Day 18 - 1.004 SG
Day 19 - 1.004 SG
At this point, no longer seeing pressure in the airlocks, and fearing that things were again stuck, I topped up the carboys.
Day 20 - 1.004 SG
Day 21 - 1.003 SG (one carboy at 1.003, the other 1.004)

So that's where I'm at today. I now realize that I should have added water to this thing. I guess I thought I'd end up with a "big" wine, but now realize that 30 brix was just too much to start with. Also, I think I might have pressed too soon?

How should I progress from here? It's still sitting on all the sediment from pressing, but the carboys are topped up and airlocked. Should I just wait it out? I'd like to at least get this thing down to 1.000SG. I'm also concerned that I haven't racked off the sediment or added more SO2 since fermentation.

Will this thing eventually go dry on its own or am I stuck with a dessert wine?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I have dealt with high brix 27 and you need to deal with this problem right away.or you will be stuck with a sweet wine.www.morewine.com has a referment yeast ball you should use to finish your wine.It might take a few days for this stuff to come to you just keep your wine warm and use this product.

Hey Rock, can you post an exact link to it as I cant pull it up and have nevr heard of this, Thanks!

Also, you could try to give your carboys a stir and raise the room temperature to 78 degrees.

May not help, but could not hurt.

Last edited:
I have three 6 gallon carboys of wine. How would I use a product like this? Would I rack everything into a garbage can or something? At this stage in the game (22 days) would I need to worry about it not being under airlock?
Yes this is it uvaferm 43 pro-stuck,works great.yes i would rack it under an air lock.

Yes this is it uvaferm 43 pro-stuck,works great.yes i would rack it under an air lock.

If I wanted to try this...given 16 gallons of wine, what specific container(s) would you recommend that would accommodate this product and provide the correct environment to complete this fermentation while also protecting the wine?

Also, if I were to try this, how much airspace should I have? Is this like a normal primary fermentation where I could dump it all in a bucket with 5 inches of airspace and lay a towell on top or would this need to be completely topped off?

The same thing happened to me a few years ago before I was on the forum. I also had a SG of 1.115 with premier Cuvee yeast. After 4 days I contacted Red Star. I got a phone call the next day and was told to add enough water to reduce SG to 24. I did and the next day I had fermentation. I used spigot water. It worked. Let us know how you make out. Don't wait! :b

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me a few years ago before I was on the forum. I also had a SG of 1.115 with premier Cuvee yeast. After 4 days I contacted Red Star. I got a phone call the next day and was told to add enough water to reduce SG to 24. I did and the next day I had fermentation. I used spigot water. It worked. Let us know how you make out. Don't wait! :b

Starting SG 1.115 and then added water to reduce SG to 24? You mean 24 brix? Or am I missing something?

Are you saying you had problems getting fermentation to START in the first place? Not sure if I was clear in my initial post, but I've already fermented this thing from 30 brix down to about 1.5 brix. I'm asking what to do about the final 1.5 brix of sugar I have left.

Anyway, I am confused by what you're suggesting I do...which is nothing new for me :)

If I wanted to try this...given 16 gallons of wine, what specific container(s) would you recommend that would accommodate this product and provide the correct environment to complete this fermentation while also protecting the wine?

Also, if I were to try this, how much airspace should I have? Is this like a normal primary fermentation where I could dump it all in a bucket with 5 inches of airspace and lay a towell on top or would this need to be completely topped off?

I did mine in a open fermenter with a cap over it, 45 gallons and in a very warm room in the basement.

I did mine in a open fermenter with a cap over it, 45 gallons and in a very warm room in the basement.

OK, kind of a beginner here, and I don't think I was clear enough in my questions...

I'm trying to understand what type of airspace you should have while using this product. Given that I don't have much sugar left (maybe 1-2 brix worth), I wouldn't think that it will be a very agressive fermentation, so there won't be a ton of CO2 given off. Right? And since CO2 is what protects the wine against oxidation, would I need to leave this thing topped up while this fermentation completes? Or would topping off not give it the oxygen it needs to ferment? This is where I get confused...

So given the equipment I have available to me, which would be best?

1. For my 16 gallons of wine, could I dump it all into a single 20 gallon Brute garbage can with a lid and drop this product in? (Since this is just a garbage can, and the lid isn't very air-tight, obviously there would be no airlock) Or would that risk too much oxygen in the wine?

2. What about splitting my 16 gallons across a pair of 7.9 gallon fermenting buckets with lids and airlocks? How full should these be? An inch of airspace? More? Less?

Again, sorry for the elementary questions, but this is one of the concepts I've really had a tough time wrapping my head around...when it's OK to have air space, and when it isn't. It seems like just when I think I have it figured out, I find conflicting or confusing information and I'm back to feeling like an idiot :)

OK, kind of a beginner here, and I don't think I was clear enough in my questions...

I'm trying to understand what type of airspace you should have while using this product. Given that I don't have much sugar left (maybe 1-2 brix worth), I wouldn't think that it will be a very agressive fermentation, so there won't be a ton of CO2 given off. Right? And since CO2 is what protects the wine against oxidation, would I need to leave this thing topped up while this fermentation completes? Or would topping off not give it the oxygen it needs to ferment? This is where I get confused...

So given the equipment I have available to me, which would be best?

1. For my 16 gallons of wine, could I dump it all into a single 20 gallon Brute garbage can with a lid and drop this product in? (Since this is just a garbage can, and the lid isn't very air-tight, obviously there would be no airlock) Or would that risk too much oxygen in the wine?

2. What about splitting my 16 gallons across a pair of 7.9 gallon fermenting buckets with lids and airlocks? How full should these be? An inch of airspace? More? Less?

Again, sorry for the elementary questions, but this is one of the concepts I've really had a tough time wrapping my head around...when it's OK to have air space, and when it isn't. It seems like just when I think I have it figured out, I find conflicting or confusing information and I'm back to feeling like an idiot :)

1. Is the way i did mine
2.sounds like it would be the better way to go,but yeast needs oxygen.
i dont think it will take long for your ferment to finish with this uvferm 43.
Just make sure your safe right now under airlock.Also make sure your juice is warm and keep taking sg readings while you wait to re-inoculate.

Latest posts

Back