High Bush Cranberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swillologist

Reaction score
I racked the high bush cranberry today. I don't know if this stuff is every going to be fit to drink. It has the awfulness nose to it. The taste is not much better. I don'tknow if back sweetening it will help or not. It will have to be a lot sweeter then I likemy wine to be. I kinda likewinesemi-dry.
NW do you have access to any of these berries now? If so pick a few and bring then in and thaw then out and smell them. That is the nose of this wine. I'm not sure how you get by the nose to drink it. I am definitely not an expert on wine making of any kind. I was just letting you know what I thought of it. You may try this yourself and you may like it.

Did the funky-floaty stuff go away?

I know about the smell.... As for tasting the fresh fruit the after taste wasn't bad after you spit out the fruit.

My berry bushes acted as a snow fence [which they are suppose to do] So they are buried under snow....

Is this winter ever going to end???? This one is hanging on forever.

It looks to be all gone now. I got rid of it with this racking, I think.

I don't think I would put away the winter coat yet. It's not going to get to 20 here today they say. It supposed to be in the mid 40's.
I'm supposed to be out trimming fruit trees and grapes. It would be a chore now with the snow we have. I'm sure they are not going to be budding out any time soon. The bird have been so hard up for food here I think they have our bushes cleaned off already. Although I haven't been down to them for awhile.

The thing I love about fruit wines is that they award you for having patience. It will probably be fit to drink in a couple of years.

Ok!
smiley36.gif
But I don't know about this one. It's been interesting from the get go.

NW got me interested in the high bush cranberry again this morning. I went down and checked on it this morning.

100_1624-1.jpg

If you look closely at the neck there is something floating there. I believe it is a pectic haze. It is a yellow color rather then the red. Some of the cranberries did turn a yellow color as they fermented.I have only racked this wine. I have not degassed or clarified this batch. Actually I don't know how to use a fining agent on a gallon batch. But that is alright. I have lost of time to let it do it's own thing. I am in no hurry with this batch. I will let it bulk age as long as necessary. The smell is getting better. May be if I degassedmore of the smell would subside. Things are looking up on it though.

Looks pretty nice...and can't smell it from here.

Next time you use some Super-Kleer on a batch of wine snitch a little of it and put it in there...Think those berries must be full of pectin.

Did you use pectic enzyme at the beginning when starting this batch?

A 1/2 tsp wade. I should have mentioned it before.

I'll open it up and set it outside NW. We have a south wind right now.
smiley4.gif

I thoughtI would just let time settle it out. I have lots of time.

Latest posts

Back