High ABV?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kggilbertson

Junior
Reaction score
Hi. First batch. Started July 28. Starting s.g. 1.08 Aug. 6, transferred to carboy, s.g. .992. Bottled Oct. 6. It was a kit wine, riesling/gewurtztraminer.
It was a bit bitter at first, but is getting smoother. But man, does it pack a punch! It has to be somewhere from 15-20% alcohol by volume! You know how a whiskey or a liquer will leave a film or residue on the glass when you tip or pour it? That's my wine. And, it warms you all the way down when you take a sip. Now, being new to this, I may have goofed a bit on my hydrometer readings. But, being a kit, wouldn't it be sort of pre-determined as to what abv it would attain? Appreciate any and all feedback. Another glass, please, hick, lol.

kggilbertson said:
Hi. First batch. Started July 28. Starting s.g. 1.08 Aug. 6, transferred to carboy, s.g. .992. Bottled Oct. 6. It was a kit wine, riesling/gewurtztraminer.
It was a bit bitter at first, but is getting smoother. But man, does it pack a punch! It has to be somewhere from 15-20% alcohol by volume! You know how a whiskey or a liquer will leave a film or residue on the glass when you tip or pour it? That's my wine. And, it warms you all the way down when you take a sip. Now, being new to this, I may have goofed a bit on my hydrometer readings. But, being a kit, wouldn't it be sort of pre-determined as to what abv it would attain? Appreciate any and all feedback. Another glass, please, hick, lol.

No. 11.5%. It may appear more but it'll mellow

I kinda doubt it is that high in abv. You should be somewhere in the 12% range. The film on the glass is referred to as its legs. When your alcohol is up to 11% or so, you will get the legs to show. And it will warm you right up. But sounds like you are going to have a nice batch. If you let it age some more, it will smooth out some more. Good luck with it, and don't know where you are from, but if you are close maybe we can share some sometime. Arne.

Petey is correct you are sitting at 11.5% abv. Sg-fg x 131=abv.

Back