Hickory Instead of Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proksy

Reaction score
I have a 5gal batch that I am about to rack either tonight or tomorrow. I have wanted to rack this batch over some wood chips. I have some oak trees growing in the backyard but I love the smell of hickory so much. Has anyone tried hickory or is there something about hickory that would make me want to not use it?

I would not. Even if you had a oak tree I wouldnt add that either. Wood chips for wine are different from wood chips you add to your smoker.

Wood for wine has to be seasoned for almost 3 years and very slowly, not in a kiln either from what I am told so using whats in your backyard is no good as is using wood that is commercial like wood bought from a supplier dried for woodworking as its treated to prevent the spread of bugs from place to place and to prevent bugs from dipping into their profits while its being stored or dried.

Also, oak for wine is always white oak. I think that if your tree is a red oak, that's never a good thing to use in your wine.

They are white oaks actually but I understand to little about wine making and wood and how to age it so I'm going to stay away from wood chips for now.

Latest posts

Back