Quantcast

Hibiscus tannin question

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

M38A1

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Been searching a bunch of threads here and Jack Keller's site, and had a question regarding addition of tannin.

I want to scale Kellers recipe up to 5 or six gallons and reading here on the forum, looks like 1tsp/gallon of tannin whereas Keller doesn't mention it.

So I was thinking along the lines of 2.5tsp for a 5gal batch or 3tsp for a 6 gallon.

Would that be proper or should I go with 1tsp/gal for however many gallons I'm making?

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Been searching a bunch of threads here and Jack Keller's site, and had a question regarding addition of tannin.

I want to scale Kellers recipe up to 5 or six gallons and reading here on the forum, looks like 1tsp/gallon of tannin whereas Keller doesn't mention it.

So I was thinking along the lines of 2.5tsp for a 5gal batch or 3tsp for a 6 gallon.

Would that be proper or should I go with 1tsp/gal for however many gallons I'm making?
Depends upon what you’re making, and whether it has some tannin naturally. I added 3 tsp to a 6 gallon batch of Lodi Ranch Cab, too much, took time to back off. Experiment by increasing levels slowly.

M38A1

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Depends upon what you’re making, and whether it has some tannin naturally. I added 3 tsp to a 6 gallon batch of Lodi Ranch Cab, too much, took time to back off. Experiment by increasing levels slowly.
Thanks John... I'll add/taste, add/taste and see where it takes me.

Vinobeau

Reaction score
For Hibiscus flower wine, I've never added tannin. I made a Hibiscus / Heather wine and added 1/8 tsp of tannin for 2 gallons. For my wild Rose Petal wines, I always add 1/2 tsp per gallon.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
I've made hibiscus a few times, always added tannin, I think it helps.

M38A1

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys.... We'll see where it takes me.

Latest posts