Hibiscus tannin question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M38A1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been searching a bunch of threads here and Jack Keller's site, and had a question regarding addition of tannin.

I want to scale Kellers recipe up to 5 or six gallons and reading here on the forum, looks like 1tsp/gallon of tannin whereas Keller doesn't mention it.

So I was thinking along the lines of 2.5tsp for a 5gal batch or 3tsp for a 6 gallon.

Would that be proper or should I go with 1tsp/gal for however many gallons I'm making?

Been searching a bunch of threads here and Jack Keller's site, and had a question regarding addition of tannin.

I want to scale Kellers recipe up to 5 or six gallons and reading here on the forum, looks like 1tsp/gallon of tannin whereas Keller doesn't mention it.

So I was thinking along the lines of 2.5tsp for a 5gal batch or 3tsp for a 6 gallon.

Would that be proper or should I go with 1tsp/gal for however many gallons I'm making?

Depends upon what you’re making, and whether it has some tannin naturally. I added 3 tsp to a 6 gallon batch of Lodi Ranch Cab, too much, took time to back off. Experiment by increasing levels slowly.

Depends upon what you’re making, and whether it has some tannin naturally. I added 3 tsp to a 6 gallon batch of Lodi Ranch Cab, too much, took time to back off. Experiment by increasing levels slowly.

Thanks John... I'll add/taste, add/taste and see where it takes me.

For Hibiscus flower wine, I've never added tannin. I made a Hibiscus / Heather wine and added 1/8 tsp of tannin for 2 gallons. For my wild Rose Petal wines, I always add 1/2 tsp per gallon.

I've made hibiscus a few times, always added tannin, I think it helps.

Latest posts

Back