HELP!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No tools really, If you have the quantities of sugar added and fruit used perhaps someone with a deeper knowledge can help you but as I looked at your earlier posts at one point you mentioned a starting SG of 1.090 and now it's at .995. Based on the site below that calculates out to an ABV of 12.47% which is good for a Blackberry wine.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

One more thing. If you have a few restaurants you frequent that serve wine, you might talk to them about getting their empty bottles. Some folks on here have established a deal (People making a LOT of wine) and they go by once a week to pick up the empties. Carlo Rossi is a common brand of wine/Sangria that comes in 4 liter glass jugs. 4 liters translates to about 7 ozs more than a standard US Gallon. I use those jugs/carboys all the time. Knowing that at bottling time when I fill 5 wine bottles from a Carlo Rossi jug, I'll have about 6-7 oz left over that will serve as a job well done reward. Of course you will also gain some volume when you back-sweeten so that gives you a little sample as well.

Last edited:
Is there a way other than calculations of starting SG and ending SG to figure out ABV %..... like a tool that will measure it?

Well, there is. It is called an ebulliometer, but it is probably not worth your while.

However, as best as I understand from your thread, you do have the starting and final SG. You reported that you started at 1.090, and finished at 0.995. That would result in an ABV of approximately (1.090-0.995)*131 = 12.5%.

Edit: I had not seen Scooter's post when I wrote this!

Time is a winemakers best friend. I happened to open a bottle of blackberry wine for my wife last night and now it's close to a year in the bottle it's fantastic. Sharpness has gone and it's smooth as silk with wonderful blackberry flavor. Can't wait to do another batch as I have 4 bottles left. Lucky for me I have a few hundred bottles of other stuff. I haven't bothered with backsweetening as I've read the sorbate can give off flavors over time. A mulberry wine I made that's bone dry responds well to a small amount of sugar syrup when I open one though. I'm happy backsweetening a bottle here and there when I open it.

If you're happy with the flavor no need to sweeten.
So far I've not noticed any off flavors from sorbate. Keep in mind sorbate is a very common additive in prepared foods. Think the off flavors come with an old product. (Sorbate itself or entire product not sealed) As long as you consume the wine with 2-3 years (from when you add it) I would not expect an issue. The only time I've had an off taste was some old gum that sat in a car glove box - I was foolish enough to try it. Gag! (Many years ago)

Back