Help~~

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wine, in my own personal experience, some of the more senior members may tell you different, I used this Cuvee on my current orange batch and it took off like a rocket, going to the secondary this evening after 6 days. When I googled the Cuvee, the site I looked at mentioned that some people reported it was a good yeast to use to "jump start a stuck fermentation." I am not saying it is your best option but from what I seen the stuff is pretty good. I hope some of the others will jump in and help you make the right decision. What do you mean you overdosed? has it started fermenting? Do you know for sure? I made two different batches using frozen concentrate and both of them took like 3 days before active fermentation was noticable. As most of these guys will say, "don't rely on visual signs to determine fermentation", use a hydrometer.
Troy

From the choices offered, I agree with arcticsid that Cuvee is the best choice for a restart. Like EC-1118, it's another vigorous Saccharomyces bayanus strain with good alcohol tolerance, and being another champagne type it is raised to have a nice firm lees, which is always a plus when it comes to racking time.

Montrachet is a Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain that's a bit less vigorous and more finicky (in that the dreaded H2S problem can occur more easily).

Never tried the Cote Des Blancs, but I've heard this cerevisiae strain is a slow fermenter that's a bit more picky about temperature.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying the other two yeasts are bad, because each yeast uniquely influences the qualities of the end product. But in this case we're talking about starting a failed start must. You may as well give it the big guns.

Thanks for mentioning me Sky, I most certainly do not have the experience that you and these others have, but I am trying to pay attention! Why does your info list you as a junior member? You may be new but you are not a junior.(hee hee)
Troy

Gee Troy you have 288 posts. Skyhawk has 12. You have 24 times the number of posts. That's what makes Skyhawk a Junior.

Steve

arcticsid, all I can say is that I wish I knew as much as you do today during my first few years making my own wine.

As I mentioned in my intro, resources for learning were limited compared to today with the internet and also advances in both procedures and kits with concentrates. And believe me, I'm not so stuck in the past that I don't accept ongoing modern technological improvements. I graduated in biology long ago (Acadia U), even though I technically don't work in that field today.

Over sulphiting was something that I have done before, and I found the best antidote was time and stirring to get oxygen in before reinoculating with an especially tolerant yeast.

cpfan, you living in the Niagara region of Canada definitely makes me envious. But in Ottawa,the political aspect makes us regular folk drink more :p

Errr... that's likely not a good thing (for us).

Steve, I can't take the credit for the knowledge I recieved in here on my own. If it would'nt have been for yourself and the rest of the group, I wouldn't even come close to having the knowledge you have all passed on to me. So let me take a second to say thanks to my teachers. I didn't learn what I know by myself. I only hope i can pass on some "qualified" knowledge to those who ask after me, thats the only way I could ever pay you back.
Thank You
Troy

Wine,
I am new to wine making and this forum. I've been reading most posts and learning a lot. But so often it is like reading a book that is missing the last few pages. The outcome is missing. How did this turn out for you?
Scott

Sharing Here....
The Raspberry/Grape wine I started back in 2/5/09 that I added to much Potassium Metabisulfite to has started to ferment... I WAS SOOOO SHOCKED!! :D :D

Back