Help wanted to fix passion fruit wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santosh_Rego

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Last year I made some passion fruit wine that turned out too sour and so I added some sugar to it to make it sweeter. Sadly, the sugar became too much and it turned out too sweet. It's been in storage for the past 8 months.

I have some new passion fruit vines growing and expect fruit in July and August. I plan to make a new batch of wine in September.

What is the best way for me to fix this sweet wine? Do I
1) Just leave it as it is and hope that in time the sweetness reduces
2) Make a new batch with less sugar and mix up the two wines once the new batch is ready
3) Do something different based on suggestions from experts here

The fruit is tropical and pretty sour, hence the addition of sugar in the process.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance
Santosh

Wouldn't the standard answer be to age the wine until you can get a really solid sense of where the wine is going? Maybe ferment to dry and age for a year before tasting and adjusting for sweetness? Of course, you are adjusting the pH at the must phase to be around 3.6 for a white (right?).

I guess if you make a batch this year some could be put aside, once dry, for mixing with the over-sweet wine.

I vote for number 2. Sorbate will be needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. By the time the new batch is ready, the 1st batch would have completed a year. So to adjust with the new batch, should need 6 months post that. Patience is the key I guess. Thanks for your valuable advise.

What is the PH on it? It's just very important to always take PH readings when making fruit wines. Almost all of them need some sort of adjustment. One thing you could do if the PH is low, is to use potassium carbonate on the wine. It takes about 3 months for it to metabolize and drop out, and it MUST be cold stabilized at refrigerator temp or lower.

In the future, get yourself a PH meter and take readings pre-ferment and adjust the PH before beginning the ferment.

Just a quick updated on this. Seems that time fixes problems by itself. The Passion fruit wine now tastes great without having to do anything. Isn't wine amazing?

Latest posts

Back