Other Help me pick a red.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I think maybe I can start with sangiovese wines then branch out.
I did try a merlot, an unoaked merlot, another tempranillo and several others and none of them went over very well.

I don't have any suggestions for you, but just want to encourage you on your quest. Years ago I was a red drinker that never cared for white wines but knew it was just because I'd never explored them. I went on a very serious mission to discover the whites that spoke to me. Tried a couple bottles a week for over a year and I now love lots of different styles of whites just as much as reds. I was very serious, I sat down with my notebook and took tasting notes of just about every single bottle. It was a truly rewarding experience that doubled my appreciation of wine!

Cheers

I don't have any suggestions for you, but just want to encourage you on your quest. Years ago I was a red drinker that never cared for white wines but knew it was just because I'd never explored them. I went on a very serious mission to discover the whites that spoke to me. Tried a couple bottles a week for over a year and I now love lots of different styles of whites just as much as reds. I was very serious, I sat down with my notebook and took tasting notes of just about every single bottle. It was a truly rewarding experience that doubled my appreciation of wine!

Cheers
Thanks for the encouragement. I too am a red wine drinker and have yet to find a white I like as well as my reds. Will keep looking!

Yes, yes....I know, zombie thread.

But I finally found a red wine that I like. McPherson Sangiovese 2010 from here .
It's not sweet, no overpowering oak...I think it would be perfect with a meal.

So I think maybe I can start with sangiovese wines then branch out.
I did try a merlot, an unoaked merlot, another tempranillo and several others and none of them went over very well.
I find it interesting that you liked a Texas-grown Sangiovese. I think you would probably notice some differences between that bottle and Italian Chiantis (70% or more Sangiovese), but the Italians have centuries of experience in tweaking Sangiovese grapes with other grapes/techniques to soften certain aspects and emphasize others. McPherson makes some good wines, but they are virtually unknown outside of TX.

Seems like there's a couple of us in the area. We're goons have to meet up and have a Texas wmt party! I'm in San Antonio we get up to William Chris once in a while!

Seems like there's a couple of us in the area. We're goons have to meet up and have a Texas wmt party! I'm in San Antonio we get up to William Chris once in a while!

As a former San Antonian of ten years, relocated to the east coast, I so miss the Muscat Canelli and Zinfandel from Becker Vineyards. Plus drinking them while sitting in the sunshine and smelling the adjacent lavender fields. When I visit I bring back cases. :)

I live in San Antonio now. Moved here with the wifey about 6 months ago. We head to Fredericksburg a lot! Lewis wines is up and coming.

I would go with a Bergamais. ( I started with the Traditional Value Winekitz) but both RJS and Winexpert have a low cost kit. No oak - big cherry flavor and early drinking. Or a nice Pinot Noir ( I like the Cellar Craft with grape pack) can drink early but gets better with age. Started out drinking mostly white - since making my own for about 3 years - I prefer Reds. Did not like the oak but now I like the oak and bigger reds. Tastes change over time. Went on a winery last summer - they said white wine drinkers out number red 3 to 1 but Reds wines drinkers consume more wine about 7 to 1.

Latest posts

Back