Help me choose my next wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

Reaction score
I'm ready to choose my next wine and would like some suggestions.

I want a big red, something unusual. I have it narrowed down to the following:

Italian Amarone
Italian Montepulciano
Luna Rosa
Nero d’Avola

Have you made one or more of the above? How'd you like it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Mike

I would go with an Amarone, Barolo, or the Nero d'Avola myself. Anyone of those would compliment a wine rack very well.

Amarone or the Nero d'Avola. Montepulciano is medium bodied, and my Luna Rossa that is now over 3 years old is still a bit thin, but quite mellow and nice. I have the Luna with Pizza as it's a nice match. I'd rate this one as a medium bodied wine too.

Both Amarone and d'Avola will be big and heavy. The Amarone will be heaviest and should impart a raisiny taste, while the d'Avola will be like a peppery Shiraz, and usually while dry is detected as slightly sweet due to the soft tannins.

I second Dean's comments. I just recently discovered the Nero d'Avola from a Mosti kit and it is an excellent wine. You can't go wrong with the Amarone. If you want something in less than a year go with the Renaissance. If you are willing to wait longer any of the Mosti's All Juice will produce a very nice Amarone.

I myself like the amarone,not a dry finished, semi dry can"t go wrong with it, borollo is excellent medium body or when finished with heavy toasted oak rich and meaty///////can,t loose with either in your cellar.Edited by: joeswine

Mike, I would suggest the Amarone only because I have made this and it is delicious. I am sure the other kits are equally as good.

I made the MM AJ amarone with raisins.
smiley4.gif

I made the AllJuice amarone last year and am enjoying it immensely this year.

I too have made the AllJuice Amarone with raisins. It was wonderful when I bottled. It's tucked away for at least a year...maybe
smiley2.gif

Sounds like this time it's the Amarone. I still have my eye on the Nero d'Avola though!

mike if i may ask were where you going to get nero d' avola at? would like to try it myself,grows in sicily only,was it a kit?yhaven't seen it around in fresh juice form at least not in the east yet,read about it sounds good ,usually used to add body and color to other wines.

Mosti Mondiale has an All Juice Nero d'Avola available year around. We have made it twice and it is a very nice wine. They also have it in a fresh juice in October.

George,

Will the orange chocolate port be available for pre-order tomorrow? 1 Aug.
smiley17.gif

I am still waiting on the information from Spagnols. I have a spot in my newsletter for it, but I may have to send out a special announcement if I do not hear anything today.

joeswine said:
mike if i may ask were where you going to get nero d' avola at? would like to try it myself,grows in sicily only,was it a kit?yhaven't seen it around in fresh juice form at least not in the east yet,read about it sounds good ,usually used to add body and color to other wines.

I'll get a kit from George after I'm done with the Amarone.

Latest posts

Back