Help! Low starting brix value

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PortersCove

Ship Captain
Reaction score
I just purchased 6 gallons of Chilean Juice that was imported in May of 2012. The wine has been sitting in a cold stabilization refrigerator until yesterday, 9-29-2012. The wine is Syrah, and all that we know is that yeast was introduced at some time before being imported to the US. When we analyzed the wine, we found the SG to be near 20, with a Brix of 6. There are no off aromas noted, but it is clear that fermentation has not completed. The approximate temperature of the juice is 65 degrees. Should we chaptalize, pitch yeast, and attempt to start over, or attempt to pitch only yeast and nutrients now? We need some help. We were planning to innoculate with EC-1118, ferment to dryness and introduce a ML strain. Thanks in advance.:a1

Personally I would just warm up the wine and let it finish fermenting to dry, then move forward with your ML plans.

I expect that the starting sg way back in May was quite reasonable. 4 months of very slow fermenting in the cold has brought the sg down.

Steve

I agree with Steve. Try to get the temperature up to about 75 degrees F. When you say "SG to be near 20," I assume you mean 1.020 so you are approaching the time when the wine should be under airlock.

I agree with Steve. Try to get the temperature up to about 75 degrees F. When you say "SG to be near 20," I assume you mean 1.020 so you are approaching the time when the wine should be under airlock.

Yes Rocky, i am referring to 1.020. I will attempt to get the temperature up overnight. Would you suggest adding some yeast nutrients, in hopes of convincing them to finish the job? I am a bit confused as to what you mean when you refer to the wine being under "airlock." Forgive me, as i am relatively new to this, but I have had an airlock in place throughout the process, so I presume you are referring to replacing it with a bung? If so, i plan to add a malolactic culture, would you recommend doing this first? Thanks Steve and Rocky for all of your help!

PortersCove, you are fine. Some (I included) do not put an airlock on the wine until the SG hits around 1.020. If you have one on, that is fine. "Under airlock" means having an airlock in place.

I would try to get the temperature up and to restart fermentation. I would not add nutrients at this point. You may have to in the future, but for now, I would try increasing the temperature.

PortersCove, First off welcome to the forum. Glad you found us and you'll find lots of useful information here. Knowing your from Portersville, you'll find lots of members on here like Julie, djrocking steve and Doug to name just a few that don't live far from you. Actually Julie is planning a brunch in your neighborhood sometime this fall.

Back to your original question I agree with everyone on warming it up. Use a brew belt if you have one. By now it should be in a carboy with an airlock. I personally would add a nutrient using fermaid or super ferment if you have it. Forget adding a yeast culture at this time.

Thank you all! We will try everything out and let you know how it goes. Hopefully everything works out!

Thanks again for your timely responses!

If you do need to re-start it, Uvaferm 43 is an excellent yeast. If you have a way to find out the alcohol (with ebulliometer) that will be good to know. figure 2 brix for every 1 percent alcohol you need to achieve.

Latest posts

Back