WineXpert Help choosing first kit please...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And space I think is gonna become an issue...leads me to a question...

Once I move from my primary to the secondary, can I keep that carboy lets say downstairs where it is a bit cooler??? Would that affect anything???

If not...then yipee!!! I have the whole basement!! She never goes down there :D

During secondary, most wines need to be kept at room temperature or a little above (75F) in order to complete fermentation. If you put the still fermenting wine in a very cool place, it likely will quit on you.

When I ferment, depending on the wine of course, I use a brew belt to get fermentation going. Once going, I turn the belt off. After fermentation slows for secondary, I put the belt back on again until fermentation is finished.

The exception to this might be some white wines or different delicate fruit wines.

Excellent!!!

I'll keep it upstairs until the kit is "finished" then I'll probably rack again for some bulk aging...moving it downstairs for that...how does that sound for a plan??

Cheers!!

Early drinkable WE kits

I've made several WE kits now, preferring medium to full bodied reds. Our favorite early drink kit was the limited edition Australian shiraz, and have found and ordered more. The Luna Rossa is our next all time favorite, so I keep making it, and am currently making 3 kits for a friend's wedding. All our company love the Luna Rossa. I'm trying a pinot noir right now. Haven't liked their Barrola (it's the cheaper one). We like the Cellar Craft kits, but those do need aging, tho the Amarone was pretty good right away, it's getting better with age. I just started their Rossa Formissimo. And I've made Skeeter Pee on all of these slurries. I've got to research, but the only Pee that developed a problem (popped corks) was made on the Amerone, and wondering if the added grape skin pack affects the Pee. I've also made lots of fruit wines - so far the favorite is chokecherry and then raspberry.

Really any Italian Reds are good, but most kits can be a little thin......depends on what you like.
Sangiovese (Winexpert) has been very reliable and usually ready to drink (goood) at less than a year. Other good reds, but on the lighter side are valpolicella, montepulciano. Heavier ones that I would recommend are the top chianti's (at least 16L).
For the ultimate Italian reds.......Amarone (Mosti) and Barollo, but these will require about 2 years to begin to reach their potential.

Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for that info both of you, really enjoyed your posts.

I agree the cheaper W.E. "Barollo Style" is a little thin, but I found the W.E. Estate Italian Barollo to be excellent. Luna Rossa has become our "keep one in the carboy at all times" wine, and I make the Estate series as time and budget allow. I'm in the same boat as far as I generally like the Italian styles, but find the French style less robust. Just my impression.

I agree that the WE Italian Barolo is better, but it is still thin in comparison to the Mosti or the Meglioli, but the price isn't prohibitive like they are. The blend in the Italian Barolo just isn't to my liking though. Seems that they blend a lot more Sangiovese and kinda skimp on the Nebiolo. Try a good bottle of Italian Barolo (which is almost all Nebiolo) and there really is a difference. Mosti seems to be truer to the real Italian blend. Don't get me wrong....I love the fruitiness of the Sangiovese, and WE is the best, just don't care for the WE Barolos in comparison. Maybe it's because I even like the smell of asphalt, so I want the tar flavors of the Nebiolo (lol)

Excellent chat...thanks!!!

Well both kits are now bottled and on the rack!!! Not to mention, I had a little left of both and they were actually quite good for my first attemp LOL!!! I am quite proud of myself :D

At the moment, I have the WE Gamay Nouveau Limited Edition kit in the primary...this kit is supposed to be like a Beaujolais, which I love...so time will tell!!! And, I have access to 2 more of these kits if it turns out to be up my alley!!!

Cheers!!!

Excellent chat...thanks!!!

Well both kits are now bottled and on the rack!!! Not to mention, I had a little left of both and they were actually quite good for my first attemp LOL!!! I am quite proud of myself :D

At the moment, I have the WE Gamay Nouveau Limited Edition kit in the primary...this kit is supposed to be like a Beaujolais, which I love...so time will tell!!! And, I have access to 2 more of these kits if it turns out to be up my alley!!!

Cheers!!!

Congratulations on the successful outcome of your first attempt. Isn't it a great feeling of accomplishment? :try :try :try

Gamay Nouveau

Where's a source for the WE Gamay Nouveau? I want to try this wine. So far everything I've found is for preordering.

Hey sideways.....The question is is it really Gamay Noir. Most of what is sold in CA has been genetically shown not to be Gamay (grin.)
I did 10 of these kits for the dinner at Neices wedding, and they really are good. If you have ever had a Beaujolais Nuveau, they are just like it in fruitness and freshnes. And the great thing is that they are a red that is to be drunk (NOW). Since I know what I wanted, I didn't even look at the kit directions, but from the taste it is a true nuveau wine. Don't age any of it, BJ Nuveau is usually picked in the fall, fermented, and RELEASED on NOv 13 of the same year (usually about 8 weeks from start of fermentation.) This is when they are at their best. At the 1 year point they are virtually undrinkable. If they call for any ageing at all (even a few months) then it isn't the style of a Beaujolais Nuveau, but rather of a Beaujolais Villages. Personally I love the nuveau (thoug it will never be confused with a great wine."
We have a couple of bottles left over, and after only a couple of months I can already taste then change from the bright fruity nuveau.

Karey...

They are at a store that is a couple hours from me but you being in Colorado and me up here is Canada, I'm not sure if shipping is feasible!!

Latest posts

Back