Help choosing a yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekjames100

Reaction score
Currently making 72% Sangiovese and 28% Barbera from grapes.

I was planning on using BM45 as I was told this was the best for Sangiovese. Then I started reading and found it is high risk for H2S. This freaks me out.

I see BM4x4 works similar to BM45 but less risky w h2s.

Also see RC212 and D21 as options.

Any advice? Any experiences? Thanks!

Good fruit, clean process, right protocol use any of the above.

Thanks. Some definitely higher risk than other and since I'm not a pro I want to be cautious.

If anyone has experience with any of these please let me know.

Well, FWIW, I use BM45 all the time on kits, and have never had a problem with H2S. You could use it and just make sure you have plenty of yeast nutrients in your must.

I've used BM45 and BM4X4 on several wines. I'm fermenting a bunch of Cab Sauv on it now. Never had any issues with either. Given the choice, I'd go with 4X4, as it apparently is less needy.

I did several batches of Sangiovese back in 2013 and used D254 and BM4x4. Usually D254 is my favorite yeast but the combination of Sangiovese and BM4x4 produced the most incredible wine I think I hve made to date. Hands down the winner. Fantastic aroma that you just wanted to dive into when the wine was only a week old and it just got better and better after that. Just popped the cork on my first bottle of wine last night with those grapes and it is flat out amazingly good.

Latest posts

Back