Hello Newb from Ajax, Ontario

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tino_C

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All - I am new to wine making, at least without my father lol. I used to help him as a child/teen. I have decided to get into the game on my own now.

I have been reviewing post on here for the past 2 weeks, I stated a Red RJS Glad Hatter Valpolicella kit and just yesterday moved to secondary fermentation :HB

I also started a white European Select Sauvignon Blanc yerterday. All seems to be going well minus the continuous reference information about ...

- when will the fermentation begin
- Why are there no bubbles in the air lock
- Oh cool ... there are the bubbles
- Should I have left the lid slightly off (Father would never have done that!)
- What happened to demijohns ... and what is a carboy :dg

Anyways - Helllo and thanks for the help so far - Great group!

Howdy and welcome. Fermentation can take anywhere from right away to a few days to start. Depends on temps, amount of oxygen, nutrients, acid and p.h. and maybe the time of the moon. No bubbles, no ferment. Bubbles are not a good indicator of fermentation, tho. A lot of us do the primary ferment in a bucket, lay a tea towel on top and maybe place the lid on top of that. After the primary ferment we move to the carboy (big glass jug) how big depends on your batch size. Demijohns are still around, the carboys are generally a 3, 5, or 6 gal. glass or plastic jug. Good luck with your batches, Arne.

Thanks winemaker_3352 - Nice looking wine list, I hope to be there one day!

Latest posts

Back