Hello from Western NC

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryAvl

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm happy to find this awesome forum, it looks like a great source of home-winemaking info!

I'm looking forward to reading and learning.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I'm a retail wine merchant and just play around with kit wines as a hobby. I started making beer and wine around 30 years ago and have recently gotten back into wine making. I have a couple reds and a rosé bulk ageing at the moment and looking forward to trying some whites and dessert style wines. I've been pretty impressed by the kit quality now vs years back!

I just bought an All-in-One pump kit from Steve -- who offered some GREAT advice -- so I'm sure I'll have ton of questions.

Hey Larry, I think I mentioned I was doing kits last time I was in the store. Will be sure to find you next time I'm in to trade notes.

Been doing wine kits now for about 5 years after many years homebrewing beer. My $0.02 on wine kits from lots of great comments from folks on this.

Keep good records - there are lots of free spreadsheets to use
Use the best kits - because you like good wine. Most kit makers also offer 'limited edition' kits on an annual basis rolling out in the Fall. Look for announcements as the good one go quick and are not offered again.
Skip Sorbate (and finings) - as long as you have full fermentation, you don't need sorbate. If you age a bit, wine will clear without finings
Use better oak - I really like WineStix. Others here have other preferences, but oak better than in the kit helps
Use liquid yeast (or at least better dry types) - locally here in AVL, 5th Season does bulk orders of liquid yeast (beer and wine) every few months so you don't have to worry about shipping and keeping it cool. Talk to their beer/wine guy and get on their mailing list.

Enjoy! John

Heya John!

Thanks for the info!! It's funny, I've become pretty good at traveling the world to source wine for the shop, yet have hardly any experience in the production end of it other than kits years ago. I'm haveing a blast playing with it at home.

Thanks again for all the great tips! For sure, hunt me down next time you're in the shop, would love to compare notes.

Cheers!
Larry

Back