Hello from Indiana

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TABITHARL

Reaction score
Well Hello! My boyfriend got me a wine making kit for my birthday which is at the end of November (you may have read his post a few below this one). We are both pretty excited to see how it turns out. We are going to be making RJ Spagnols' Blackberry Merlot (I don't have that info in front of me, so that is a guess).
We have read the directions a couple of times and also watched George's video a couple of times too. It seems easy enough, but we do have a few questions.
1. It is fall here in IN and I haven't turned on my heat yet. The temp of my home is in the 60's at best. Any suggestions for keeping the wine warm, other than turning on my heat? We thought about wrapping a blanket around it.
2. While we are on the subject, how often do you check the temp of the wine? And how often do you check specific gravity? I know the kit's instructions tell you what day that specific gravity should be reached, but when do you start checking?
3. When you transfer wine from primary fermenter to the carboy, which is the better choice for topping off the carboy- wine or water?
4. When specific gravity is reached, how much time do you have to move the wine to the next receptacle? Will specific gravity keep changing?
Thanks for the help, we are very interested in this process. Hopefully we are successful with our first batch!

Latest posts

Back