Hello from Baltimore

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to WMT. Best not buy your hubby a wine theif, you will be posting on here about the gremlins running thru your cellar and the wine evaporating from your carboys. Arne.

hahahaha, well now I know exactly what to do... I'll put the carboys in the room where he watches football and just nonchalantly leave the wine thief on the coffee table and go away for half an hour... when I see indication of wine tasting, I'll get online and shop!! He'll be none-the-wiser!! I'll tell him he INSISTED I make more wine!! :h

Make sure you make something he likes. That should get him on your bandwagon.

Well, he's a beer drinker... Guiness actually! And...the only wine he'll drink is Reunite Lambrusco (Did I spell that right) in the big gallon jugs! Go figure...

New Too and Your Neighbor

Hi Shelly,

I'm from Bel Air and am also new to home brewing. But it's grabbed me pretty good with no signs of letting up. Since I started in September, I've made 4 wine kits (viognier, mezza luna red, australian chardonnay, and seville orange sangria) and 1 beer kit (cooper's lager). There's a good home brew store up here in Baldwin and another down in Columbia -- not sure if there's anything in Baltimore. Welcome and enjoy!

Ann

I just found out about the one in Baldwin yesterday, I called and got a price on a kit that I already had done and his prices were high. Mr. Steve's in York kit was $20 cheaper. He has a real nice store and I also joined a wine club that meets there, if anyone is interested I can get you the info. We meet once a month and bring a small dish and a bottle of homemade wine and just chat. It has been fun, I just started making wine in Oct. and just can't seem to stop.

Hi Shelly, welcome

Sulfites do not give you headaches, that is a myth. Headaches are caused from drinking to much:d
If you don't believe it, go out and buy a bag of dried fruit and see if that gives you the same effect, they are loaded with sulfites

Well, he's a beer drinker... Guiness actually! And...the only wine he'll drink is Reunite Lambrusco (Did I spell that right) in the big gallon jugs! Go figure...

Make a batch of skeeter pee. Most everybody likes that stuff. If you start it now, it should be ready to drink when it is hot out. Cold pee and hot weather, don't get any better than that. Arne.

Hi Shelly,

I'm from Bel Air and am also new to home brewing. But it's grabbed me pretty good with no signs of letting up. Since I started in September, I've made 4 wine kits (viognier, mezza luna red, australian chardonnay, and seville orange sangria) and 1 beer kit (cooper's lager). There's a good home brew store up here in Baldwin and another down in Columbia -- not sure if there's anything in Baltimore. Welcome and enjoy!

Ann
Hi Ann! I saw your Marker on the map! I'm pitching my first yeast this morning! Yayyyy! I'm very afraid that I'm going to love this hobby for one exact reason...I love to multi-task. I'm always looking for ways to get more out of my day and lo and behold I can spend a couple hours and then it just magically sets there and makes WINE while I do all the other stuff that life brings in my direction... It's amazing!! LOL I heard about the stores in Baldwin and Columbia. My son lives near Mr. Steve's which gets very high reviews so that will probably be the easiest for me to get to. Eventually I'm sure I'll find my way to each of them.

Arne... I am going to make some Skeeter Pee! Not only does the name crack me up but I love anything lemon so it will probably be the next large batch I make.

Rob, if it isn't sulfites is it the tannins? It's one of those things because red wine = horrible headache, which is absolutely NOT a myth! LOL I'm no youngin' and I have learned the consequences of my actions and I'm here to guarantee you that red wine hurts my head, every time... one glass or two. In fact, I'm going to stagger around right now holding my head just thinking about it!! :slp

Hi Shelly, and Ann nice to have you on both board. I see you are in MD but mentioned Mr Steve's. I live in York and use Mr Steves also. He is a great guy and actually I will be teaching his beginning wine making classes starting in Feb. You should check out his web page www.mrsteves.com and sign up for the classes. It if=s free and afterwards we do wine tasting so you can see what some of the kits taste like and can make some choices on what you like and don't.. Maybe I will see you there..

Hi Brian, thank you for the nice welcome. Yes, I'm familiar with Mr. Steve's but I haven't been there yet. We may take a ride and have a look-see this coming weekend. It's an hour drive for us from where I live so it's a little far to go for classes (unless it's on a weekend) but it sounds fun. Thank you for the invite and I won't completely rule out the possibility of the class...

Shelly

Hey Shelly, just a FYI the classes are usually on Sat at 11 until 1PM. I haven't talked to Steve yet for Feb and I see he has not scheduled it. He is opening another store in Camp Hill PA on the 1st of March so he is really busy right now. But on the other hand there are a lot of great people on here that will help you.

Hi Brian, we actually drove up to Mr. Steve's on Friday. We also visited the Thirsty Brewer in Baldwin, Maryland and we stopped by Boordy Vineyard and had a quick look around.

Mr. Steve's is a bit too much of a hike for me, but it is a very nice shop!

Latest posts

Back