Heat belt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleleaf

Reaction score
I bought a heat belt a week ago and it works great. It raised the temperature of the must from 60 to 70 degrees. I don't understand why it cannot be left plugged in for more than 8 days. Does anyone knows why? The secondary fermentation will take about 3 weeks according to the kit. And I will need to use it for that long since my basement is to cold (will probably get to 54 or so all of January and February).

This is just a directive that is mentioned in the manual that comes with the heat belt. I am not 100% sure, but it seems to me that this is just a precautionary statment, like in many electric devices. I have checked a few discussions on home brewing forums and nobody seems to have had issues with it either. The statement probably alludes to the idea that it shouldn't be used for more than 8 days as fermentation ususally completes within this time frame and is no longer requires the assistance of the heating belt. The sure way to know is to contact their customer/tech support, so you may want to give them a call or something, just in case.

I use an aquarium heater. Keeps the must at a constant 76 degrees.

This is just a directive that is mentioned in the manual that comes with the heat belt. I am not 100% sure, but it seems to me that this is just a precautionary statment, like in many electric devices. I have checked a few discussions on home brewing forums and nobody seems to have had issues with it either. The statement probably alludes to the idea that it shouldn't be used for more than 8 days as fermentation ususally completes within this time frame and is no longer requires the assistance of the heating belt. The sure way to know is to contact their customer/tech support, so you may want to give them a call or something, just in case.

I guess I will turn it off for a day or two and then turn it on again.

I guess I will turn it off for a day or two and then turn it on again.

That's kinda what I do. Every so often during the process, especially when the fermentation is really cooking, I'll see the temp near the max I want and will unplug the belt. At this point he pail will be covered to minimize heat loss.

Hum, just struck me... Why not get a second heater belt and swap out on day nine? I think I'm going to add that to my LHBS shopping list. :mny

That's kinda what I do. Every so often during the process, especially when the fermentation is really cooking, I'll see the temp near the max I want and will unplug the belt. At this point he pail will be covered to minimize heat loss.

Hum, just struck me... Why not get a second heater belt and swap out on day nine? I think I'm going to add that to my LHBS shopping list. :mny

I have a second belt. But I don't know if the pail or carboy cannot take more than 8 straight days of heat or it is the belt that could be damaged if plugged in for too long.

Back