haven't hilled up/over my graft unions yet! are there other methods of insulation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
So I hope I did not screw myself by not yet hilling up/covering my graft unions. The vines were planted this past April and after having our first baby in August I just have not had the time to be at the vineyard site (3 miles away on my grandmother's property). Anyhow it has been in the 30's and 40's most of the time but it DID dip down to 16° last week and I am scared my vines are ruined. At this point I really need to get it done if it isn't too late, already, but there isn't a ton of "available" dirt around the vines and I don't want to run the risk of hitting the horizontal feeler roots that are close to the surface if I hoe too much. This may sound dumb, but can I use round pipe insulation or strips of wall insulation with tape? I think it would be quicker.

How old are the vines?

Normally, I don't think you'd want to cover your graft unions on established plants..

If you're taking cuttings and grafting them to rootstock, that's a different story..

It is recommended in cold areas such as yours that you hill the graft union. It doesn't keep it totally thawed out but the frozen soil remains close to freezing, protecting the union for the first year. I would find some unfrozen soil and dig it into a pail. Then take a good full pail and dump it on the vine graft union. You need enough to cover it a couple inches. That way you will not need to worry about cutting roots. Now go get it done before the ground freezes solid.

First year. I was advised by Double A and other resources to hill up over the graft unions every winter to insulate

The first winter is the most critical to cover and certainly doesn't hurt in later years, but many get by without it after the first year.

Latest posts

Back