Have I ruined my first CCShowcase?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIXDRAW

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was racking my CC Showcase Château du pays tonight a couple of days early as my specific gravity hit 0.998.
I transferred to a new Italian 23 L carboy and was short 1.5-2L. I was squeezing the grape pack like crazy wondering where my wine went until I read later that the carboy is probably bigger than specified.

Anyways..... I panicked and followed the instructions by topping up with water. I added about 750 ml of water before I realised all this water could really ruin my wine. I then panicked again and decided to add about 0.5 L of red store bought grape juice.

I have previously made a California Connosieusseur kit which was very disappointing but the showcase tasted amazing when I tried a tiny sample on racking tonight.

I'm now convinced I've absolutely destroyed my beautiful wine.
Does anyone have any advice?

In future I will have some wine for topping up but the CC showcase kits aren't cheap and it's really frustrating that the carboys aren't as described!

What ever harm done is done and obviously can't be taken back so I would just go on following your instructions. Hopefully you plan to bulk age for a while and you can add in a bit more commercial wine when you rack the next time or two.
Keep your fingers crossed it hasn't diluted noticeably.
Mike

When you do the math on it, you said you added 750ml of water (1 bottle) , or about 3%, considering a 30 bottle batch. You will rack it off sediment at least once more and likely several more times before you bottle, leaving sediment behind and creating more room to top off. If you give it time and top off with a nice French type blend each time, you won't really notice the water. Your friends will simply compliment your wine making skills. Relax and give it time. If every wine went according to plan, we would soon grow bored. Enjoy the learning experience

Latest posts

Back