Haskap Berry??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideways2

Reaction score
Hello!!

Not sure if this is the right place to post but does anyone have any experience with this berry for wine??

I know there are a few different varieties and I was wondering what works :)

Thanks!!

Hi sideways2

I'll be interested to hear any responses also. Last year I put in Blue Moon, Blue Velvet, and Czech 17. The blue pair were purchased as a mating pair, the other found at a clearance sale and took a chance on it. Tho it is supposed to bloom at a very different time, thus not cross pollinate with my other two, it bloomed at the same time the Blue Moon did, followed closely by Blue Velvets bloom. Not positive it's just the bloom time tho since some are called Haskap and some by a diff name. Still, thought I'd post this tidbit in case it helps anyone out there.

Pam in cinti

Our farm has been breeding and trialing Haskaps. HASKAP is the Japanese name for Lonicera caerulea Emphylocalyx. What Pam described are Honeyberries, Lonicerera caerulea kamchatka. Those are primarily from Russian descent. They are separate varieties, but many folks are mistakenly confusing the 2 varieties. They are similar, just as some apple varieties are similiar.

We do not own any honeyberries, only haskaps, and they make an incredible wine.

Norske, excellent info and thank you! I do understand what I've planted is different from yours, but I still hope I'll be able to add them to some wines for different flavor notes. I currently have a lot of different gooseberries and enjoyed adding them to several of my juice buckets this year. Yes, I prefer tart over sweet.

Can you say Gooseberry Gewurztraminer?

Pam in cinti

Nice to hear!!

This is what is available to me locally...I can buy the berries picked or even buy the bushes!!

Tundra, Indigo Gem, Borealis, Berry Smart Blue, and other selections.

Suggestions?? Recipes?? Like how many kgs does one need to make a batch of wine??

Thanks!!

I see your are from Saskatchewan so I recommend you contact the University. Dr Bob Bors is the man to contact if your are in Canada. They have info and suggestions on the haskap berry.

I have actually read some of his papers and it seems like the few that I meantioned are all vey good for wines...everything is dependant on the yeast used:

Yeasts are generally categorized into which
grapes or wine styles they compliment the most.

Red wine yeasts:
These yeasts are generally
good at increasing mouthfeel (polysaccharides).
They also must not inhibit malolactic
fermentation.

White wine yeasts:

Generally good at elevating
volatile terpenes and aromatics. (smells like
pear, or citrus)

Fruit wine yeasts:

Yeasts specifically selected
for use in fruit wines are relatively rare. Usually
grape wine yeasts are selected based on
fermentation characteristics which are thought to
compliment the flavour of the fruit in question.
Popular fruit wine yeasts are often acid reducing
and are selected to bring out fruity aromatics.

Haskap yeasts?

We created a little experiment to help us find the
right yeasts for the job. We mixed a 6 gallon
batch of must, and added everything except for
the yeast. We split the must up into 6 individual
1 gallon batches and pitched each with different
yeast. The yeasts were chosen for us by a wine
supply company in Ontario as yeast which might
work well for fruit wines.

The chart below plots sugar levels in the wine
vs. date. The lines which drop rapidly before
becoming nearly horizontal are the plots of fast
fermenters. These would work well as killer
yeasts, overpowering any naturally occurring
yeasts, and for high alcohol fermentations.
However, the faster fermenters usually generate
more heat, which can influence more delicate
fruity flavours. Slower fermenting yeasts are
known to generally maintain the more delicate
flavours.

After taste testing, we found that the slower
fermenting yeasts tested above average. Fruity
aromas and cherry flavours were more
prominent in the wines made with slower
fermenting yeasts. We also found that the faster
fermenting yeasts were considered more grape
wine-like than the slower fermenters.

yeast.jpg

So...Norske...I have done some research...but it's pretty general so far with nothing that is really definite...that led me to here...

I am just wondering...out of my options...which would be the better to make a table wine from??

The UofS suggested for a typical 5 gallon batch of wine...6kgs of berries and 4kgs of sugar...yeast nutrient...some tannin...and about 30-40g of oak...

How does that look??

Thanks!!!

I'm really interested in what people find about this - I have three Haskaps that I planted last year: a Tundra, Borealis, and a mystery pollinator. They are not producing yet as they're just babies.

Haskap u-picks appear to be popping up around us, so I'm going to see about getting some for an experimental batch this year. I'll shoot for all-juice if I can afford it/ find enough.

Excellent reading!
This makes me even more excited about trying a starter batch.

Thought I'd take a moment to update in case any readers wondered. My Czech 17 did indeed produce a few honeyberries when only possible pollination was most likely Blue Moon (Blue Velvet bloomed shortly after I saw blooms on C17). Not very tasty, but juicy for their size so I believe they should work in wine. Will be a couple years before I have enough to even do a blend with only 3 young plants tho.

Haskap berries sound great, and if I ever run into them I will be sure to pick up a pollinating pair.

Pam in cinti

I found a local garden center that has a few varieties which would be good for the cross pollination...$40 a plant for the mature ones...$30 for the young's...don't think that is too bad??

Latest posts

Back