Has Anyone Ever Made A Coffee Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btom2004

Wine On My Mind
Reaction score
It says it all. I love and drink lots of coffee. I would love to make wine from it.
Sure using Chocolate is cool, but I love coffee.
If you have a recipe post here or suggestions on how to. Thanks

Last edited:
ok, got back from vacation & I promised to post my Coffee Wine recipe. Well checking my notes I made it in June 2010, and it was to Jack Keller's recipe. I used 8 O'clock coffee, freshly ground, 1/2 decaf, 1/2 french vanilla. [I try to limit my caffeine]. I feel the french vanilla beans gave it a little extra flavor & would do it all french vanilla again, may have to be soon, I'm running out. It came out very nice. I made 2 versions, 1 sweeter than the other, more of a desert wine, without the extra ABV. You may want to try kicking it up from 12% to say 15% with the extra sweetness. Hope this helps, it's a wine worth making if you like coffee. Roy

ok, got back from vacation & I promised to post my Coffee Wine recipe. Well checking my notes I made it in June 2010, and it was to Jack Keller's recipe. I used 8 O'clock coffee, freshly ground, 1/2 decaf, 1/2 french vanilla. [I try to limit my caffeine]. I feel the french vanilla beans gave it a little extra flavor & would do it all french vanilla again, may have to be soon, I'm running out. It came out very nice. I made 2 versions, 1 sweeter than the other, more of a desert wine, without the extra ABV. You may want to try kicking it up from 12% to say 15% with the extra sweetness. Hope this helps, it's a wine worth making if you like coffee. Roy
Thanks for the recipe.

Edit: 07/05/12

Well I'm going for it. I just started my gal batch of coffe wine. I don't like brown sugar, so I used regular sugar. Heck coffee is brown enough.
I changed yeast to below type and added some bentonite and yeast energizer to the recipe as well. Now waiting for fermentation to start.
Starting SG is 1.082

½ lb ground coffee
2½ lbs sugar
1½ tsp Acid Blend
¼ tsp tannin
7½ pts water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tspyeast energizer
1/2 tsp Bentonite
Lalvin K1-V1116 wine yeast

Pour water in pot and put on to boil. Stir in sugar until dissolved. When sugar is completely dissolved,
put coffee into straining bag and place into water wait until it boils. Remove from heat, cover and allow to cool. To a sanitized secondary,
combine acid blend, bentonite,tannin and yeast nutrient/energizer. Pour coffee into secondary,
discarding the grounds. Add activated yeast, fit airlock.
Rack three times, 60 days apart, topping up and refitting airlock each time.
If desired dry, rack into bottles. If desired sweet or semi-sweet, stabilize, sweeten to taste, wait 10 days, and rack into bottles.

Last edited:
This recipe looks really interesting! I've got to take a trip tomorrow to pick up some yeast so I'll be sure to grab some extra for attempting this recipe. Although I won't make an extra trip to pick up any dark/brown sugar; I do however have molasses so I can just make my own. For the record, probably should be submitting to that jackkeller website, 1 Cup of Sugar to 1 Tablespoon of Molasses. I'd suggest any Unsulphured Molasses.

H N B C, Hope you enjoy the Coffee Wine, One caution, we make it as a desert wine, but to our "new taste buds" I think I over sweetened it. Next time I will bottle in 2 diff. styles, semi & sweet. Roy

Hey! Alright so I've got my 1 gallon test subject of the coffee wine just buzzin' away in the nice warm temperature above my fridge and it is spewing out like crazy. At first I thought; Cover with cloth? Ha! Then I cleaned my airlock out twice and gave in (;

For any small batches I use 4L milk jugs, airlock bungs sit in there just perfectly; it's food safe, it can expand without exploding and most importantly.. I can still get my money back!

Latest posts

Back