Harvest time in swill's orchard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swillologist

Reaction score
The wife was a busy little girl this afternoon and evening. She picked close to 35 pounds of apricots.

100_1720.jpg

For some reason they are going bad on the tree. So we had to pick them kinda green. We are going to have to work them up as they ripen.

Then we moved over to the gooseberries. She let me help pick them. She has been kinda mother henning me here lately. We picked close to 12 pounds of them.

100_1721.jpg

They will be able to set a day or two also to ripen up a bit more. Looks like some apricot and gooseberry wine on the horizon.

Have you made these wines before from your own fruit? I bet they will taste great when done up. Keep having fun as you harvest your bounty Swill. Let her play Mother Hen all she wants! You will know you are doing good though when that behavior slows or stops.

No appleman. This is the first year we have had a bounty of these fruits since I started this hobby. Up until now the most fruit we have had we grapes. The grape this year are taking a beating. Not being able to go out and spray. The grape have some kinda fungus attacking the grapes them self. It seem to the the worst on the fredona. It isn't bothering the rest or at least I haven't notices it. I haven't really went and looked real close but I would say it got about half of the grapes on them so far. I guess I will just have to put up with it this year. Then really get after it next year when things are better around here.

It sounds like the grapes have either Anthracnose or Black Rot. They both are caused by humid warm rainy weather. I takes a good control program to keep them at bay. If you feel better later and you have any mummies left on the vines, cut them off and get rid of as far away as possible(no don't send them to me by UPS). They act as a source of innoculum for future infections. Good luck with everything.

Nice looking fruit Swill....You'll be making wine really soon.

Enjoy the pampering...it will all be over soon enough.

Latest posts

Back