Happy New Year!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy New Year everyone! Hope everyone is feeling good this morning.
smiley2.gif

We made Polpettone Ripieni (aka stuffed meatballs) last night. Beef and veal meatball mixturestuffed with spinach, carrots, prosciutto, provolone and mozzarella. Browned and then simmered in chicken stock and wine. When it's done you cook the liquid down to a glaze. We paired that with some garliccaesar salad, green beans and some different bruschetta for appetizers. We didn't have any bubbly so we mixed some ice wine with sprite at midnight and it was yummy - worked great. No pics of the table, but here's a couple from prep time. Pay no attention to the missing cabinet door or the goofy face I'm making.

20070101_093239_IMG_0656.JPG
20070101_093342_IMG_0650.JPG

The Ice Wine was absolutely teriffic sang........Thanks so much for sharing it

That looks and sounds great! You could have invited the rest of us!
smiley19.gif
We would have brought wine...
smiley2.gif

c'mon by! I'm about to warm up some leftovers and open a bottle.
glad the ice wine was enjoyed Waldo! You're quite welcome. Edited by: sangwitch

Great pictures! Must be you have a good camera!
smiley2.gif

So why is the cabinet door missing?

I think he had locked some wine in there and hid the key and forgot where he hid it!
smiley36.gif

Sang,

I don't know what that is but I think we need to know all about it and the recipe.

Ramona

Here ya go Ramona. The first time I made this the rolls started to come apart in the pan and I lost some of the cheese. It was still delish even if it wasn't too pretty. I can roll it up like a pro now. It takes a bit of work to prepare, but if you like to cook it's no problem and it's always a hit with guests. Searve with a nice hearty red.

1/2 lb ground veal *
1/2 lb ground beef
1-cup breadcrumbs
1 cup grated Romano cheese
3 eggs

20 to 30 spinach leaves, stems removed
2 carrots cut into long thin slices
6 slices prosciutto
3 slices mozzarella
3 slices provolone
2 sprigs rosemary
1 can chicken stock
3/4 cup dry red wine
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (no substitute!)

* veal is hard to find around my parts. If you can't find veal or have an issue with it, substitute 1/4 lb of ground turkey and 1/4 lb of Italian sausage (usually 1 link). My wife prefers it w/ the turkey; I think it's great both ways.

---

Combine first five ingredients thoroughly with hands along with some salt and pepper.

Boil some salted water and dip the spinach leaves just long enough to wilt them. Remove and set aside. (I had to use thawed frozen the other night) When you're done with the spinach, cook the carrot slices in the boiling water for 5 minutes to soften. Remove and set aside.

Lightly dust your work surface with breadcrumbs and flour. (don't go by my pic w/ the pile of flour/breadcrumbs). Reserve a bit of the meat mixture for patching and then carefully roll out the remainder into a rectangle approx 16' x 5". Leave about a 1" border on the sides and lay down the spinach leaves followed by the carrot slices, then the prosciutto, and then the cheeses. Here's the tough part: roll the meat into a jellyroll, making it as tight as possible. Cut the roll in half crosswise and seal the ends with the meat. Use the meat reserve to help seal the long seam and the ends. Otherwise the roll will come apart while cooking and some of the cheese will ooze out. (happened to me the first time) Dust the outsides of the roll with flour. (It helps if you have a pan big enought to fit both rolls, but if not get creative)

Heat some olive oil and rosemary in a large frying pan and brown the rolls on all sides. After the meat browns, discard as much oil as possible and pour half the chicken stock and half the wine over the meat rolls. Cover the pan and cook over medium-low. (If liquid evaporates, add a little water to the pan). After 15 minutes, turn the meat rolls and pour the remaining chicken stock and wine over them. Continue cooking covered for an additional 15 minutes.

Remove the meat to a dish, add ½-cup water to the liquid in the pan and cook over medium-high. Continue scraping up any brown bits as the liquid reduces, until you have a nice glaze. Let rolls cool a bit then slice and serve with meat glaze drizzled over the top.

Enjoy!

That recipe sounds absolutely wonderful!!
smiley32.gif
I will try it as soon as I can!! Will have to try it out on the family!!

Francie

I agree and once I show this to the head chef I know we will be having it soon but with one slight addition.....garlic!

Thanks

Mario Batali ROCKS
smiley20.gif

well of course I throw some garlic in there! That goes without saying.

Mario and Bobby are my heros
smiley16.gif

Every time I make something new, my family tends to run. I think it was the time I made a meat loaf andplaced some cheese and broccoli in the middle of it. Hey,it could have been worse, it could have beenspinach in the middle!
smiley11.gif
smiley36.gif

Or it could have been the leftovers from the last meal they ran from!
smiley36.gif

Back