Guess ABV with only final SG?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johntodd

Maker of Fine Messes.
Reaction score
Hi! Another knucklheaded thing I've done.

I didn't measure the SG when I first start the fruit cocktail wine. But now I have an SG of .990, and it packs a kick! Definitely a good amount of alcohol in there.

Is there any way to approximate the ABV?

8 cans Fruit Cocktail,
5 cups sugar.
slurry left from Cherry Wine,
that's all, just maybe 1/2 pint of water added (in addition to the slurry)

Thanks!
-Johntodd

Last edited:
I'd guess get another can of Fruit Cocktail and take a reading. Figure how much volume you have in the 8 cans then add to your SG what the additional 5 cups of sugar would have added. I've read roughly 1 cup per Gal. = .020 raise in SG. Might check that last part (sugar/gal/SG ratio) but the formula should at least get you in the ball park.
Mike

I have a total of 44 oz sugar. This is going into a little over 1 gallon total fluid. Most of the fluid is either the syrup it came in or released juices from the fruit itself.

120 oz of fruit cocktail in light syrup to start with plus the 1/2 pint of water (and the sugar and slurry).

I've racked it and it's a full gallon now @ SG .990. Left some in the primary to leave sediment behind.

To confirm, you are saying the sugar from fruit cocktail + added sugar gives you a total of 44oz, in a 1 gallon batch? If so, you have about 5.7 cups/gallon for an approximate OG of 1.114, potential ACV of 14.97% (at 60F)

But I am concerned that those five cans of fruit cocktail only contributed 0.7 cups of sugar.

What is the consistency of the wine like? Is it thicker than normal? How much volume loss do you have?

Last edited:
To confirm, you are saying the sugar from fruit cocktail + added sugar gives you a total of 44oz, in a 1 gallon batch?

Yes. A friend has been PM'ing me. We think it works out to ~13-14.4% ABV.

It's definitely a hot one.

Thanks, all!

If I may ask another question:

Bentonite. I added a 1/4 tsp. (in a slurry) to it last night and now the bottom is covered in 2" of lees. I have never seen Bentonite work that fast, I was expecting a week or so. However, it is sitting in front of the A/C, whereas it was in the utility area, which is not climate controlled. Hence, there has probably been a 10+ degree drop in temp. Does it really work THAT fast when the temps go down?

And it still isn't cleared yet. Shall I add more slurry?

If I may ask another question:

Bentonite. I added a 1/4 tsp. (in a slurry) to it last night and now the bottom is covered in 2" of lees. I have never seen Bentonite work that fast, I was expecting a week or so. However, it is sitting in front of the A/C, whereas it was in the utility area, which is not climate controlled. Hence, there has probably been a 10+ degree drop in temp. Does it really work THAT fast when the temps go down?

And it still isn't cleared yet. Shall I add more slurry?

The bentonite swells and drops to the bottom. So it does start to work quickly. I would keep it as is for another week or so. Too much bentonite will strip the wine.
The bigger issue is you now have gross lees, which you will not want to leave for the next week or so, they gotta go.
Is your must degassed? A gassy must will usually give you fits in clearing dept, and needs to be around 75F to degas.

When did you start this batch? Oh, and a 10F temp drop will usually start clearing a wine fast. Three days is not uncommon.

Last edited:
I started it on this past Sunday. I know that isn't long. I was just interested in making a wine we could drink next weekend or something.

Like Hawkeye said on M*A*S*H, "20 minutes ago was a good year."

:)

There is a boil off method to figure abv. I have never tried it, but think there are some posts about it on here someplace. The reason I have never tried is you have to waste some wine to do it. I'll keep my eyes open and if I find it will let you know where it is. Arne.

Go to the search engine up above. Type in: Determining ABV after wine is made A few posts down is a thread determining abv after wine is made. Open it up, and Rocky will describe how to do it. I would post a link to it, but don't have the slightest idea how. Arne.

Racked and added sugar...what to watch for.

Hi!
I've racked my Fruit Cocktail wine off the gross lees, and added 2C. sugar (in a little water) to top off. I'm not concerned with final ABV now. It's a hot one and that is good enough.

But I still have it under a balloon. I figure the warm sugar water may restart fermentation, hence the balloon.

Is this a reasonable assumption?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, as long as you have live yeast cells and keep adding sugar they will ferment until they die off due to stress or alcohol toxicity. What yeast did you use?

Montrachet, and I have no visible activity at all. Balloon is deflated, and no bubbles or foam at all.

Montrachet, and I have no visible activity at all. Balloon is deflated, and no bubbles or foam at all.

So you are looking at an alcohol tolerance of 13%, though it usually exceeds this value. I would say you have likely achieved alcohol toxicity. You bumped the SG of one gallon by 0.040, so if the yeast are dead/dying you will have a bit of residual sugar.

OK, it's been tested. I drank a glass last night.

I woke up on the floor with a bear and a cement mixer beside me. A record was playing softly in the background, and I don't even have a record player. I can't remember a thing.

Good stuff, that Fruit Cocktail wine. :D

Back