Group buy in St. Louis

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sav Blanc is thawed and at 54* - going to get the yeast going on it - the temp should gradually creep up and fermentation start up.

Once started i will stick it in the freezer for a cold ferment....

A few hours ago mine still had icebergs in it. I'm thinking late tomorrow or Friday to get it started.

Do you know if Bob T ever got the numbers from Toro?

No i don't. What numbers are you looking for??

Do you still have yours in the 6 gallon buckets - or did you transfer to your primary??

Putting mine in my primary really let it thaw out...

I will add the yeast to the Pinot Noir tomorrow morning - let the temp get close to 65 or so - its at about 58 right now..

pH, TA, brix ...

I'm planning to ferment in the pails they came in. I'll remove a little if I need to make room, but these have a couple of inches head space already. I don't know if the pails are larger than 23L, or if there is less than 23L of juice.

I will test myself to see what the numbers are. I'm just curious what Toro says they are and whether these are supposed to be 'balanced' or not.

Here were my numbers:

Sav. Blanc:
SG = 1.090
TA = .325 - had to bring up to .70

Pinot Noir
SG = 1.090
TA = .275 - had to bring up to .60

SG was good - but acid was low - so ph was high.

I found signs of ferment this am so I prepared and pitched the yeast without any testing. I'm gonna' see if Bob can get Malbec and Syrah numbers from some of the others. SG is what I need most so I can see how much sugar to feed, if any.

I did talk to someone at Toro yesterday, but he was quite vague about the numbers, without even distinguishing between varieties.

Man, this stuff smells and tastes great! Much darker than I was expecting from juice.

I pitched my yeast in the pinot already - i think i caught mine before ferment kicked in - i did see some signs in the pinot.

The juice is a nice deep red color - much darker than i expected as well. But they do taste and smell great!!

Very excited for these - hoping it does well - b/c i see myself getting a lot more next year!!!

I could easily see myself doubling my order next year. Especially if the price stays as good. I figure the more buckets I pick, the better my transport cost per pail making the trip! :)

10 buckets would be a great excuse to pick up some 30g flextanks!!!

Exactly!! The price was pretty cheap for what we got if you ask me..

If it stays that price and this wine turns out at least decent - i will probably double my order as well...

So the Pinot SG is as 1.020 right now and the Sav. Blanc is at 1.070 - coming along nicely.

Bob how is your wine doing??

Everything at ~1012-1015. Gave 'em their fermaid k this morning. This the first time I've used BM80 & 254. So far I like them. Time will tell for sure :)

Got the numbers in from Bob T.

SG was spot on - but the TA and PH were off - TA was low.

Wonder if freezing them affecting that??

I got them as well. The Syrah and Malbec had already started fermenting. I bet that's why the SGs look low. The pH and TA numbers look good for these to me.

I'll be making my measurements after the second racking.

I had already adjusted my TA levels - will re-test after secondary is complete as well.

But I adjusted the Pinot to .65 and Sav. Blanc to .70.

So all should be good - hopefully :h

Did you take an TA reading??

No. I found it fermenting when I opened the pails, so I did quick gravity readings while the yeast was hydrating and pitched.

Ok - I was able to take SG and TA readings before that started - but i think mine thawed out sooner than yours did.

The wines smell great - i took a sip of each and they taste like they are going to turn out great!!

Doesn't fill up a 6 gallon carboy though - going to purchase some 5 gallons this week to rack to.

That's disappointing. About the fill. Assuming you have Italian 6s, how short are they?

Yeah i know - i was hoping to have a full 6 gallon carboy.

I guess in order to keep the pails from cracking they had to run short - give the juice room to expand when it froze.

Probably about 1/2 gallon.

I could top off with some like wine - but if i go with a 5 gallon - it will leave me with 1/2 gallon of the same wine for topping off later.

Latest posts

Back