green ring??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muscadinejohn

Junior
Reaction score
My muscadine red wine has been sitting in the carboy at room temperature for about 60 days now, waiting to clarify. It is still so dense that a flashlight will not penetrate. Any thoughts about how much longer it should take?

A second question, maybe more critical, is that there is a thin green line on the top of the wine in the carboy where it touches the glass. Is this something serious? What can I do about it?

Thanks for any help.

Just be patient. It will clear. Winemaking is a long-term project so why the hurry. The longer you wait the longer the wine has already aged.

The green ring is probably organic stuff that was floating in the wine and settled onto the glass.

If it worries you rack the wine and see if it comes back.

Luc

The green ring could also be pigment from the variety of Muscadine used. Some of the cold hardy grapes I use are very deeply pigmented and will leave a purple or sometimes blue ring around the top where a small amount evaporates.

thanks,
I'm beginning to feel better already. I was afraid I had wasted a lot of time and effort and had let my wine ruin.

Latest posts

Back