Great Bear jugs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFruitWines

Reaction score
a coworker of mine gave me 2 five gallon Great Bear glass jugs. the openings are very narrow. does anyone know what size bung these take?

thanks!

Great Bear Bung size

Measure the opening with a micrometer. Then go online to several wine supply sites and check their bung listing. Some of them will give dimensions (top and bottom) of their bungs and the size number (5, 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5 etc). This is a start.

My advice is always to take the vessels to a decent home wine making store (one that carries a good selection of bungs). Take the jug in to the store and do a test fit. When I ran a store, I regularly sent people home to get the vessel, so that we could ensure a good fit. Hopefully there is one you can visit easily.

Steve

My advice is always to take the vessels to a decent home wine making store (one that carries a good selection of bungs). Take the jug in to the store and do a test fit. When I ran a store, I regularly sent people home to get the vessel, so that we could ensure a good fit. Hopefully there is one you can visit easily.

Steve

great idea Steve. should have thought of that myself. takes all the guesswork out of it.:slp

great idea Steve. should have thought of that myself. takes all the guesswork out of it.:slp

Here's my second thought for those who don't live near a good LHBS. Order one of each size !!! Okay, maybe that's a little extreme. But order the size smaller & larger than what you expect to fit. Bungs aren't that expensive.

Also there are what I call universal bungs that fit multiple sizes of openings. I couldn't find a listing that described the range that each covered, so don't know if one of these would work or not.

Steve

Hey PA I use a couple of old Great bear water bottles and they take a 6 1/2 size bung they are old school but work just the same.

Back