Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spunk

Reaction score
Just a question I went on a wine making tour and tasting. They told me they didn't wash grapes before pressing. I do. Does everyone else wash theirs?

I had a bad case of powdery mildew starting in my vines and I sprayed with a lime/sulfur spray to control it. It will be about 1 1/2 mos between that spray and harvest (assuming I controlled it).

Wash??

Here is my advice

Never Wash Grapes!!!!

A cluster of wine grapes have the individual grapes packed tightly together. This is perfect for each cluster to hold water through capillary action. Simply drying the grapes will not remove this water which will serve to dilute the sugar, flavor, and acid that God had so lovingly provided.

further advice...

Make it a point to sort through your grapes instead of washing them. Remove or throw away any really bad clusters. A little white mildew or mold is not much of a concern provided you treat your must with the recommended amount of k-meta. If your grapes have a lot of rot on them, do not purchase them.

I'm starting to think maybe I'm wrong at washing grapes what about like bird droppings.

Honestly, I think that is all part of it. But yeah, I have wondered the same myself after harvesting some grapes myself.. Grapes and wine in general are not near as clean as many people would imagine. Yet, I have yet to hear of anyone getting sick from bird droppings from grapes in wine.

That's why you always use meta on the crush. Really need it for biological control.

I'm starting to think maybe I'm wrong at washing grapes what about like bird droppings.

If you consider the PH level and the level of alcohol involved, there is really not a whole lot that survive in that environment which can hurt you.

Besides, the norm is to add k-meta right after crushing, so not to worry.

If you think you will loose sleep over it, however, simply deep 6 any cluster with bird doodie on it (during the grape sorting process).

Latest posts

Back