Grapes and juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevew1

Reaction score
I am looking to make a blend of Chilean juice. I want to add Petit Verdot that I can only get as grapes. I usually just do buckets of juice. I hope to add the juice from the grapes to one of the buckets. Do I also add the skins and if so for how long. I was hoping for 3-3.5 gallons from the grapes to add to a blend that is not yet finalized. Likely cab sav, merlot and carmanere.

I am looking to make a blend of Chilean juice. I want to add Petit Verdot that I can only get as grapes. I usually just do buckets of juice. I hope to add the juice from the grapes to one of the buckets. Do I also add the skins and if so for how long. I was hoping for 3-3.5 gallons from the grapes to add to a blend that is not yet finalized. Likely cab sav, merlot and carmanere.

From what I've seen in my limited time here, most people destem and crush the grapes and add them to the juice. A few considerations follow.

First, you are looking for 3 to 3.5 gallons from the Petite Verdot. If that is a finished volume you will need three 18 lb lugs of grapes to ensure you get the volume you want. I think I got 1.33 gallons per lug last year, but as you know the liquid you obtain will vary each year.

Second, do you have a larger fermenting vessel other than the bucket the juice comes in? Even if you put one lug in each of those buckets, I think you will be overflowing (or very near overflowing) once fermentation starts. I suggest a brute trashcan, they come in all sizes from Home Depot or Lowes. Dump the juice bucket in there and add the destemed/crushed grapes in a paint strainer bag(s) (you can get when you purchase the brute, they are cheap in cost). Every day during fermentation you want to squeeze those grapes so that they drop under the surface of your must and keep hydrated.

2a, are you doing a field blend, or do you want to ferment the grapes separately and blend after fermentation and clearing has finished? Just a possible way to go that gives you more options on your blend (if you do them separately).

Third, yes it is good to have the skins in the fermenting must. It adds tannins, flavors and aromas as well as color. You keep them in until the ferment starts petering out, 1.010 or so. Some wait until the grapes stop floating to the top (sort of like a cap does if you didn't have them in the bag).

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will chime in who have been making wine much longer than I have if I forgot anything.

Thank you, I have done a lot of research on this. My plan is to mix the Petit verdot juice with the cab sav and blend at the end.

I have used Petite Verdot for years to blend. My suggestion is make all your wines independently. Let them age on their own. Then do bench blending to taste. Blend as enjoyed best. Age again as a blend for a couple few months.... Then bottle.

My idea was to add the Petit verdot to a bucket of cab sav and have it ferment together. I was not trying to make wine solely from grapes. I wanted to make a blend that included Petit vedot

I think I now understand. Sure, my humble opinion is that adding some PV grapes to a juice bucket of Cab Sauv. is a fine, fine idea. Yes, add the grapes including skins. Leave them there until you rack out of your primary fermentation vessel (i.e., bucket, Brute trash can...) into your secondary vessel(s) (i.e., carboys, demijohns...).

Edited to add: I am not an expert, as I have not made wine from grapes, but you may want to find some sort of way to press your must to get all the juice out of the skins. Some here have fashioned a crude press from two buckets: the outer one has many holes, and the inner one serves as the "plunger" that presses the skins.

Last edited:
Back