Grape Variety for south Mississippi?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samh200

Reaction score
What is the best Grape Variety to plant down here in the south? That will do well for making wine?

Most likely Muscadines. I've had some good ones wines from Florida from Noble and Carlos.

In addition to noble and carlos

Mississippi research station developed a variety of muscadine "Eudora" named after a writer from Mississippi. They can be ordered from Bass Pecans or Blue River Farms in Mississippi. In addition to being suitable for wine they make excellent table grapes.

I have muscadines already... I was thinking of some sort of purple or green grape... there are so many diffrent kinds to choice from...

Most likely Muscadines. I've had some good ones wines from Florida from Noble and Carlos.

I guess it's a taste thing, but I have NEVER had a good muscadine or scuppernog grape, nor any of the wines from them.

There are truly hundreds of muscidine/scuppernog wineries within a couple of hours of my location and I have been to a lot of them.

Muscidine/scuppernog gives the wine a Vicks 44 cough syrup taste to me.

Of course, I don't like chardonnay, either (the most popular wine in the world).

There is a wine grape that may suit your area - Black Spanish. This is a very old grape that was grown in the Carolina's down through Texas. I only know that is was a wine grape, a natural hybrid exported to France and out to Texas. It is naturally resistant to Pierces Disease, which kills other bunch type grapes in the deep south.
I have no idea of the quality of the wine from this grape.

Contact the closest county or college agricultural extension in your county. They should be able to better advise you.

I typed up a bunch of stuff, but my post got banned cause I put links in it. Google Miss blue grape and you will get a good list for MS. Muscadines are perfect for your area and I tried one from MS two weeks ago and liked it better than Texas muscadine.

From my person experience:

Blanc Du Bois - Good white hard to kill. good root system PD resistant
Black Spanish (Lenoir) - Dark red, can root rot but hard to kill, PD resitant
Conquistador - Good red for south (according to Florida U. Planted 6 a month ago so not sure yet)

Google "conquistador bunch grape" and you will get a good list of bunch grapes for winr from U of florida.

EDIT: I just looked up your area. You may have problems with to much sodium in your soil. I know of a place in Texas that grows Black Spanish as close as you do in Texas to the coast and theirs is pretty good. Its just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
I typed up a bunch of stuff, but my post got banned cause I put links in it. Google Miss blue grape and you will get a good list for MS. Muscadines are perfect for your area and I tried one from MS two weeks ago and liked it better than Texas muscadine.

From my person experience:

Blanc Du Bois - Good white hard to kill. good root system PD resistant
Black Spanish (Lenoir) - Dark red, can root rot but hard to kill, PD resitant
Conquistador - Good red for south (according to Florida U. Planted 6 a month ago so not sure yet)

Google "conquistador bunch grape" and you will get a good list of bunch grapes for winr from U of florida.

EDIT: I just looked up your area. You may have problems with to much sodium in your soil. I know of a place in Texas that grows Black Spanish as close as you do in Texas to the coast and theirs is pretty good. Its just something to keep in mind.

Thanks... I think you got me on to somthing:b

Latest posts

Back