Grape Varieties For Northern VA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you have a plan and are on your way. Good Luck, I think you will get so much enjoyment out of this. My favorite way of unwinding at the end of a work day is to go out in the vineyard or down into the cellar and work at my hobby. I recommend part of your time be spent in taking very detailed notes of everything you do. You will learn so much just by do this one thing.

Thanks Randoneur! I have already started taking notes. As I have searched for more details about the vine varieties I am going to grow have written them down.

It's exciting when you plant. I swore that I smelled norton wine when I planted.

I live in northern West Virginia, what are some good varieties for that region? My fsvorite wines are Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot noir, Malbec and Merlots. Anything I can grow that would be similar? I actually live in Morgantown, about 1.5 hours from Pittsburgh

You would have to ask some of the local places. Some of those European varieties might work, but depends on how much work you want to put into it. Perhaps some locals can point you I'm a good direction, or since you are close to Morgantown, your university ag department.

THere are like 100 wineries over there, they even make a map showing them all, have you considered getting in a car and touring them, chatting up the folks in the tasting rooms, seeing what they are growing? Some of those places you would have to have a billy goat to get up the sides of the hills. Would growing you vines in a pot really get you off to a good start since you want that tap root to dig down really deep into real dirt, if you put it in a pot its just going to circle around the bottom and when you plant it out there are some people who think that transplants like that still live mostly in the potting soil as its better than they soil so they think putting it directly where its going to grow without putting anything in the planting hole is best? WVMJ

Hey! It has been a while since I have posted. The vines arrived today! They are looking great. I planted them in 20 gallon pots.

I need help on how to build a high cordon trellis for 2 vines and a low cordon for 2 vines. I don't want it to be to expensive. I will be moving in about 4 years. Also I plan on adding more vines next year. Any ideas?

Just curious but why would you start a bunch of vines and put all that time and energy into it and then move once they just start producing?

kopfkratz.gif

Latest posts

Back