Grape Varieties For Northern VA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CurtBoswell said:
I don't mean to bother you. What is a spray routine as I am new to this.

Two things, I like norton but it has a medicinal taste and has a high ph wich makes it tough to make good wine. European vines have to be sprayed often , and with good anti fungals depending on humidity , but are much easier to make good wine. I lost some vines spraying with captain , I called a profesional and sprayed religiously have had no problems.1 866 802 3431. If your in Virginia you can grow anything , don't know your micro climate. Good luck .

New plan! So I decided I will get 3 Norton vines and 2 Cabernet Franc vines to try out this year. Since Norton has a drooping growth habit and Cabernet Franc has an upright growth habit.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in those two varieties. Cab Franc is normally a Bordeaux blend but some very nice single varieties are being made from it up there. It sometimes takes Norton a few years to produce, so be patient.

Winemaker mag has articles on them. If you really want a good, more in depth read of Norton, try "the wild vine." It is well written and enjoyable to read.

Thanks bigdrums! I'll have to check those out! For Norton and Cabernet Franc can I use compost out of my compost pile for them?

No problem. Make sure the compost has been heated long enough to kill any diseases, but compost is the best in my opinion. By they way, since you are in Virginia, check out what's going on at newvagrapes.org. A contact of mine is really into creating hybrids suited for Virginia by it's natural grape vines. It makes sense to me. This isn't French soil.

Curt,

I'm following this with great interest. Where are you located, and where are you getting your vines? I'm in Prince William County - outside Manassas. Looking to plant 3-5 vines myself soon, maybe next year.

Jim

Sounds great bigdrums! That does make a lot of sense.

Hey Jim! I'm located in Front Royal about 45 minutes to an hour away from you. I'll be getting my vines from double a vineyards. When I get them I will start a grow journal on here for anyone interested!

I think you will be happy with both of those. I sometimes blend some cab frac and cab sauv into my Norton and I've always been happy with the result.

Well if you haven't had a chance to grow your own vines yet at least you will be able to learn from my mistakes and hopefully not make the same ones!

Back