Grape Sellers in USA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I emailed Matt P at label peelers. They are going to get grapes again this year. Works out good for me as they are real close. Bonus is when picking them up last year Matt had some wines to sample. I was considering Collinwood before as I have a friend that uses them, but I don’t think they are as interested in helping the smaller buyers. They used to crush them for him, but last time he had to borrow my crusher.

Called them today, I don’t think he wants to be bothered. Wasn’t sure if he would get to updating his website for 2022 prices. Best he could offer is you have to call on September 21 to get prices and availability.

Not sure this kind of customer service is going to get any new customers or repeat customers.

I’ve not worked with them before so I’m hoping this is not typical but maybe seasonal time constraints. If anyone has any recent interaction please let us know. I would like to support him, but not if he’s going to give it half effort.
I have purchased from them the last 2 years, 7-8 lug orders. The grapes were of good quality. Customer Service is lacking. They deal in volume and that's their business. I am considering LP this year. Any opinion of their grapes?

Called them today, I don’t think he wants to be bothered.
Bob, I've found Collinwood to be pretty unresponsive too for my needs as a home wine maker. I'm glad Label Peelers will have grapes coming up next month, but I don't know what kind, but I'm sure the big varietals will be there. I did notice L'uva Bella in Youngstown has some imported juice (and Cali/Washington juices), some with interesting blends. LP still hasn't posted up any juices for preorder yet.

Matt said we should see an email this week. I looked at L’Uva Bella’s site also. Haven’t used them, they mention grapes, but no order form, just juice that I could see. Last year was my first time with grapes so I’m no expert, but the Merlot grapes I purchased from LP looked of good quality and the tastes so far seem to be good.

You can call L'Uva Bella. They are responsive and will give you the information they have.

I haven't dealt with them other than talking on the phone but they seem to be nice folks.

@distancerunner started a thread regarding creating a western PA group for making bulk grape purchases. It occurred to me to collect a list of grape sellers in the USA to help others do the same thing.

The coordinator of the group I belong to (based in Durham NC) negotiates a good price on west coast grapes, as the cost for folks on the east coast is stiff due to shipping. Making a bulk purchase (10,000+ lbs total) gives us leverage.

I'll start out with the two companies I know about:

Musto Wine & Grape Company, CT
https://www.juicegrape.com
Gino Pinto, NJ
https://ginopinto.com
Have used Musto in the past - awesome company to deal with.

You can call L'Uva Bella. They are responsive and will give you the information they have.

I haven't dealt with them other than talking on the phone but they seem to be nice folks.
I bought some Chilean Cabernet and Malbec this past spring and they came from L'uva Bella. Those are in carboy aging now with medium oak cubes. When purchased, I asked for the juice readings and they replied via email with the readings....ph/brix/and TA. I was impressed with their customer service then. And, their numbers matched my numbers.

If you get a chance, and you don't mind the drive, they have an excellent restaurant on prem. We had the Tortellini Carbonara, and Blackened Chicken Alfredo with their Signature Reserve Cab. Nice night.

Every year is different for local grapes and every year I'm finding more resources. The only thing about local grapes is they are more expensive then getting them from Washington Winemakers. They are bought by the pound or ton rather than lugs and the price is usually around $1.50/lb as opposed to WW which is $1.10 to $1.25. The advantage is I get the local fruit the day of or the day after they are harvested and I know the numbers so I can take them or leave them. You also have S&S Wine Grapes in Maryland. There they get the grapes in and you have to keep monitoring what they currently have. But then again if you don't like the numbers you don't have to buy them.

I'm in Chantilly if you ever want to stop by and chat and taste.
I don’t mind paying a bit more for what you get in the ability to see and know what you are getting and also supporting our local growers. I plan a 60 next fall and think I’ll do an additional 30 barrel. If I do a 30 of local that’s about 500lbs.

We make in Fredericksburg but I live near old town Alexandria so you’re pretty close. I’ll take you up at some point on stopping by and look forward to trying each other’s! Thanks for the info and help -

I don’t mind paying a bit more for what you get in the ability to see and know what you are getting and also supporting our local growers. I plan a 60 next fall and think I’ll do an additional 30 barrel. If I do a 30 of local that’s about 500lbs.

We make in Fredericksburg but I live near old town Alexandria so you’re pretty close. I’ll take you up at some point on stopping by and look forward to trying each other’s! Thanks for the info and help -
You're welcome anytime.

Do make a point of meeting Fred. He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet and he really knows winemaking.

Back