• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Grape Planting Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared5714

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was wanting to pick some brains on choosing a variety of grape to add to our four acre vineyard. We currently have 500 Seyval Blanc vines that are around four years old. We're looking at planting another 150 this spring. The question is...what kind. We use some of the grapes to make wine but the sole purpose of the vineyard is to sell to local wineries. Looking for something that is hardy and slightly/moderately susceptible to disease. Also we'd like something that's going to bring us the highest dollar per ton. I've kicked around the idea of a Vignoles or a Vidal Blanc but I would like to plant a red grape. Any suggestions?

I agree with Grapeman that it would help tremendously to know where you are located.

That being said, if your goal is to sell grapes to local wineries, you shouldn't be asking us what to plant. You should be asking your clients what they want from you. Then make your decisions from those suggestions based on disease resistance, growing potential, etc.

Latest posts

Back