Grape Juice Wine (concentrate)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
noted! thanks for the advice I will use this after i tear through the 19 bottles i have now.

never used the RC212, i find it hard to leave the good ol EC-1118 it just works so well haha i will give it a shot though!

Here is a recipe I make a lot of and it does not last long around here. I do bottle age it for 6 months after it is ready to bottle.

Recipe Type: P M Concord
Yeast: Lalvin EC-1118
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.10
Final Gravity: .996
Boiling Time (Minutes): 0.0
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 to 7
Additional Fermentation: Rack until clear
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30

12 cans Welch’s 100% Concord Grape Frozen Concentrate 11.5 oz cans
7# White Sugar
Water to make six gallons
6 Campden Tablets
1 Tsp Acid Blend
6 Tsp Yeast Nutrient
¼ Tsp Wine Tannen
3 Tsp Pectic Enzyme
1# Concord Grapes
Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast
Small screen bag

You do not have to use the grapes. I add them to help with the flavor and mouth feel.

I find that concord grape wine really retains the grape juice flavor. When you compare to what cab juice tastes like compared its finished product, they are very different. Not so with Concord in my experience. I have made many batches using Welch's products like the Concord, White grape Raz, Cran. etc... They really turn out pretty good, are real crowd pleasers, and give something great to make in the "off season"

SAM_1102.jpg

new update to this which i thought was complete but i guess not, i went digging in my wine closet to find a sticky mess, apparently one bottle of this a big 1.5L bottle at that exploded. not sure why this one did it no corks have popped no other bottles have busted nothing seems to be wrong with any of the others just i had to clean up glass and wine that was all over everything.

I'm 'nearly done' a 6g batch of concord from grapes I picked this summer. I'm having trouble finding just the right sweetness/type of sweetener to use. It tastes fantastic blended with my blueberry wine, but otherwise it just tastes very acidic. I can't do the usual black cherry, because it tastes like cough syrup to me (like all cherry-flavoured things!)

Any suggestions as to what I might do to fix this a bit?

you can try cold stabilization to get some of the crystals out of it that may help some and if thats not enough try some calcium carbonate but thats normally used before fermentation might try it in a small test batch like one bottle's worth and see what you come up with.

another thing you may try is honey to sweeten with, it seemed to cut the acid in my Quadberry DB quite well and it gives it that nice honey aftertaste

just cracked open a bottle of this and wow im impressed the bitter/acidic back end has smoothed out to a nice grape flavor. not to shabby at all

Looking back through the thread, you put 3 months of aging on it. This type of wine will improve markedly for 6-7 months, then level off or improve slowly after that. Very improved at 1 year plus. The thing is, since it is regarded as lowbrow, people generally guzzle it all before then.

Looking back through the thread, you put 3 months of aging on it. This type of wine will improve markedly for 6-7 months, then level off or improve slowly after that. Very improved at 1 year plus. The thing is, since it is regarded as lowbrow, people generally guzzle it all before then.

So true. I just opened a bottle that was corked 7/12. It is some kind of good.

This is why I make 60 bottle batches, minimum. A man gets thirsty, ya know! :)

I have one bottle that is 14 months old. Makes me wonder...

This is why I make 60 bottle batches, minimum. A man gets thirsty, ya know! :)

I have one bottle left that is 14 months old. Makes me wonder...

Latest posts

Back