Grape andBlackberry wine Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
How important is to remove the Blackberry fruit and straining bag in 4-5 dayswhen SG is1.040as stated on the Vintners Harvest fruit base cans?? Can you leave it longer before pressing without it hurting anything maybe down to SG of 1.01before pressing it and taking it out?? My next batches of Blackberry will be with natural Blackberrys that I bought at the end of July and froze. Also what about when you are dealing with grapes in making a red wine ??? Is it imperitive to remove the Grapes and skins at a certain SG or point???

I do not know how to answer your question. I will tell you how I do it. I take the bag out and let itfinish dripping over the bucket the night before I plan to rack to glass. So, I guess I amsaying that I leave it in until time to rack to glass, but I want the wine to settle somebefore I rack to glass. Sometimes I willsqueeze the bag alot, sometimes I squeeze it just a little, sometimes I just let it drip until it stops.

Hippie, I am curious about something you said in your reply post.I understand you to say that you take the straining bag out and let it drip over the primary the night before you plan to rack to glass. Do you leave your primary uncovered without a lid and air lock (using like a cloth for covering) during primary fementation? I was really trying to find out if it is necessary to get the fruit whether grapes or berries out of theprimary in a short period of time. Is there in adverse effects of leaving fruit inthe primarylonger that 5-7 days? Thanks for any info. Lynn

No. My bucket has an airtight lid and airlock attached. You will need to do your own experimenting to decide for yourself if any off flavors result from leaving fruit in bucket longer or not as long. I leave it. The dripping out of the bag does not take overnight.
smiley36.gif
Just a few minutes usually, then the lid and airlock go back on.

Leave it to me to make an asumption on draining overnight!!!
smiley4.gif
I normally use the lid and airlock too I was just curious on some different ways to press the fruit pulp. Thanks for your time!!

Latest posts

Back