RJ Spagnols Grand Cru kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhdennis

NH Dennis
Reaction score
I have been looking thru the archives, and havent quite what I was looking for.

On Friday I was able to score two Rj Grand Cru kits for $50 each ( march & april packaging dates)

One is the Red Zin and the other Malbec.

I read the directions and am very confused....14 days in the primary, rack into a carboy and add the clarifiers.....

Do these kits not benfit from the 1st rack at 5-7 days?

How about bulk aging?

Wade, what did you change when you made these?

Thanks,

Dennis

I like the finishing to dry in the primary bucket as they tend to finish very dry and not struggle from leaving active yeast behind from racking earlier and another big benefit is that they degas much easier with the extra volume of area in the primary. You also leave more lees behind from the extra time in primary and the fining agent used with these kits does not need all the lees stirred up and transferred like some other fining agents. The only thing I do different is extend the bottling time by many months and sulfite every 3-4 months in between. Im not very keen on these smaller kits myself as they all seem thin to me but must say my friend loved the Grand Cru Barolo so I gave all of it to him.

Thanks for the reply.

I liked the All Juice Mosti kit, but when i walked in to buy another carboy, he said he was reducing the price....from 80 to 50 a pop.

I thought i might give it a try. I am waiting to do All juice amarone....and an old vinezin.

I dont think these will be in the same ship as the all juice. I did use some of these to slow cook a roast in though and that worked out great.

Wade,

Started the Zinfandel on Friday, had a small cap on Saturday morning.

checked the SG today and it was down fom 1.084 to 1.070/1

however the cap is gone and the teabag is still floating on the top.

The instructions are muddy at best ( at day 14...) I can't beleive that I dont have to measure the sg, stir, dunk the bag....

just leave it alone?

tell me this cant be true...

Dennis

Its true, its just an oak pack and that wont go bad like a fruit would if it were exposed to air. You could dunk that sack if it pleases you, just dont go opening it too much when its one fermenting although even then your wine will be loaded with C02 that protects it so even that wouldnt do much if any damage.

Latest posts

Back