Got bit by the "OSS"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorCAD

Reaction score
Thats the OLD SORBATE SYNDROM.

My viognier turned into a sparkling wine. I'm really bummed, because it was so good. It isn't awful as a sparkling wine, but it lost some of its fruit characteristics due to the residual sugars getting eaten. I can still drink it.

When I opened a bottle last evening before the football game, it popped just like an Asti. Complete with fog rolling down the bottle. A pour filled the glass with 1/2" of liquid and 3" of bubbles.

I need to tend to the rest of the bottles by somehow mechanically holding on to the corks. Im going to start by shrinkwrapping and may buy some wire cages.

New sorbate on order today (might reorder a new viognier kit also).

Lesson Learned

Sorry to hear that (as I go to throw away my sorbate).

Which kit was it?

That stinks. I had that happen on an apple/jalapeno a few months ago. The first two bottles I opened(only a month or two old) were awesome, then the next two( a few months later) had the same "pop" you mentioned and actually formed a little "beer head" when pouring.
Just bought new sorbate last weekend when I heard if it is close to 1yr. old, get rid of it.

I have started to write the date purchased on my chemical bottles now so I know how old they are.

Unless they are in heavy duty sparkling type bottles don't try to keep the cork in. That may lead to bottle bombs blowing up. Seriously If you have that much pressure they can be very dangerous. Either rebottle into heavier bottles or pour back into a carboy, degas, retreat with sorbate and then bottle.

Unless they are in heavy duty sparkling type bottles don't try to keep the cork in. That may lead to bottle bombs blowing up. Seriously If you have that much pressure they can be very dangerous. Either rebottle into heavier bottles or pour back into a carboy, degas, retreat with sorbate and then bottle.

I hate to say it, but this is really the way I should go. Its fairly cool in my wine closet right now, but if it were to warm up a couple of degrees, it might get messy!

I can add some sugar back after re-sorbating and maybe get some of the taste back.

Guess the bottom line is do not fall victim to larger quantities of chemicals ('specially discounted items) used in our hobby unless they will be used in short order or are stable enough for long term. I too have suffered the effects (or non-effect) of outdated sorbate:(

Well, at least you still have the corks in yours. I know somebody else that didn't. Guess who? lol, Arne.

Back