Goose Berry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I plan on starting Goose Berry Wine this week-end. A old friend, who has been making wine for 40 some-odd years told me to use 1 gallon of goose berries to 5 gallons of water, sounds week to me? Like I said, he's an old timmer and only uses regular yeast and campden tablets and that all...... but he makes pretty good wine. Does this sound like it will have enuf flavor?

6 #'s of berries per gallon of wine - 5 gallons - 30 #'s.

For my fruit wines - i add 7 pints of water per gallon - 5 gallons 35 pints of water.

I plan on starting Goose Berry Wine this week-end. A old friend, who has been making wine for 40 some-odd years told me to use 1 gallon of goose berries to 5 gallons of water, sounds week to me? Like I said, he's an old timmer and only uses regular yeast and campden tablets and that all...... but he makes pretty good wine. Does this sound like it will have enuf flavor?
yes i agree 1 gallon is not enough for a 5 gal batch. my grandfather and uncle were very good at wine making the told me to use 1 quart fruit for 1 gal of water this too is to weak. the 6 lbs of fruit sounds like a good starting place for you i would say make it both way and ajust it to what you like.

good drinking
:try

I'm making my first batch of Gooseberry Wine. I used 13 pounds for this 5 gallon batch. I did add pectic enzyme at the standard rate in the beginning, but had to treat again when it was done fermenting. I froze the berries for maximum juice extraction. Early tastes indicate that there is lots of flavor and it's plenty tart. I'll likely have to add a bit of sugar to balance the acid.
100_2958.jpg

myself I like to use a 50/50 on fruit even more fruit if it iisn't a strong flavored one, just like muscadines I had 10 gallon of fruit to make 8 gallon of must no water nothing

Back