Good Books For a Newb

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinb

Reaction score
I've decided to start growing grapes next spring, but thought I should figure out if I actually enjoy the wine making process first. I just ordered some equipment and am looking forward to starting a batch of Dragon's Blood. I have learned a ton on this site...thank you. I still feel that I need more background knowledge. Does anyone have a good book recommendation for a new guy?

Also, in regards to the dragons blood....are there any steps along the way that I can extend the time frame? I'll be leaving for vacation later this month and am wondering if I should wait to begin until I return......but I'm so anxious to begin!!

How long before you are leaving? If it is at least a couple of weeks, get it fermenting. Hopefully it will be far enough along you can stick it in secondary and airlock it. No worries then. Arne.

Hi Justin. As far as books go, I'd recommend From Vines to Wines by Jeff Cox. It's detailed enough to give you a good knowledge base, but also accessible for people who are new to winemaking. It takes you through both the grape growing and winemaking processes.

Thanks for the book recommendations. Ill look into both of them. As far as the dragons blood is concerned, Im leaving for vacation in 2 weeks.

As far as DB goes, if I were you I would move it to the carboy, then dose it with Kmeta and sorbate and wait on anything else until after vacation.

Back