Glass of Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K5MOW

Reaction score
Having a great glass of sweet Mead I made about two years ago.

image-599123477.jpg

Wow looks great. How does it taste? Does it taste like liquid honey or what? I'm not a honey lover, but may try to make a Gal or so one day. I've read so much about this wine here. I remember all the old Roman, Kings and knights types of movies; where everyone drank Mead. Never knew it was a real drink and is still being made today.

Last edited:
btom2004 said:
Wow looks great. How does it taste? Does it taste like liquid honey or what? I'm not a honey lover, but may try to make a Gal or so one day. I've read so much about this wine here. I remember all the old Roman, Kings and knights types of movies; where everyone drank Mead. Never knew it was a real drink and is still being made today.

Well Mead is so good. It dose have a honey taste but even if you are not crazy for honey I think you need to try mead. This is a very very good sweet mead. It dose not full taste like honey it has it own taste.

Roger

Well Mead is so good. It dose have a honey taste but even if you are not crazy for honey I think you need to try mead. This is a very very good sweet mead. It dose not full taste like honey it has it own taste. Roger
Ok good. I've read that some back-sweeten with more honey to get a fuller honey taste. I won't do that. Should regular sugar or brown sugar be used to ferment? Or no sugar since honey is sweet?

The honey takes the place of the sugars, which is what makes a mead a mead

And thats a great lookin glass, made me thirsty

Deezil said:
The honey takes the place of the sugars, which is what makes a mead a mead

And thats a great lookin glass, made me thirsty

Yes I agree no sugar.

Roger

btom2004 said:
Did you just let it go to dry, fined and bottled? Without any backsweetening? Hmm... if so I'll have to try some.

Yes I did not back sweeten at all. I would need to look up my brewing notes to get the recipe. I don't remember but I do remember I used D47 for the yeast. D47 is a great yeast for sweet Meads.

Roger

Try to get a good honey! Try to get something like Orange Blossom or Tupelo.

Im willing to bet that most super markets dont carry the good stuff. Look around your area a bit and Im sure there is an apiary somewhere near you but otherwise you may want to go on the computer and find a good source. Some wine and brew shops carry good honey.

Has anyone found the need to allow Mead to age? This is something that I want to try probably after the holidays, but I was also told that it is a difficult wine to get going. Has anyone had a problem with the fermentation stage of mead?

I just bottled one a few weeks ago. I bulked aged it for a year. I used orange blossom honey, vanilla and Cinn. It is also a sweet mead/metheglin. It is delicious I made 3 gallon batch. What type of honey did you use k5? I used d7, 4 lbs of honey per gallon. Finished it at 1.040.

Cohen.

It is not tough at all, d7 yeast can tolerate more alcohol, plows right through fermentation. Yes ... aging will make it a lot better as with regular wines. Mead is so rewarding, pay the extra cash to get good honey.

Thanks! Tis as I figured. I have a wine making friend who is a self professed Mead expert, who wants to come over to help me get one started because they're just so hard to ferment, and also drinks his immediately following bottling because they do not require aging. He is a trip! I'm glad I have you guys to run stuff past.

Vanilla and cinnamon? Now I want to go to start one today!

Ive made a vanilla saspirella and and a cinnamon saspirella mead. Both epic. The vanilla variant is more of a dinner wine. Made it a bit drier whereas the latter I made sweeter for desert.

Latest posts

Back