Giving grapes a try

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roblloyd

Reaction score
Thanks to the support/arm twisting here and the generous use of Wades equipment I just placed my order for 5 lugs of Chilean carmenere through m&m.

Besides the use of wades distemper and press what else do I need besides the basic equipment? Do I need a ph meter or an so2 meter?

Just want to make sure I'm ready when they arrive.

Wade has distemper? I know he likes cats, but didn't know humans caught distemper!:slp

(I think you mean crusher/ destemmer). You should be able to get by with a pH meter and use a TA test kit for acid.

Wade has distemper? I know he likes cats, but didn't know humans caught distemper!:slp

(I think you mean crusher/ destemmer). You should be able to get by with a pH meter and use a TA test kit for acid.

If he would have gotten his shots, he wouldn't be having this problem.

Do you have a press?

I crush my grapes add in the k-meta, pectic (spaced out of course) - then the next day i press the grapes.

stupid ipad auto-correct!!! I had to fix carmenere 3 times before it just accepted defeat.

AFAIK Wade is up to date on his shots and is clean. :)

So a PH meter will be ordered soon. The Hanna or is there something better or cheaper (extech?) I should look at? The Vinmetrica (sp) looks nice for the SO2, I'll need that someday right?

Last edited:
"stupid ipad auto-correct!!! I had to fix carmenere 3 times before it just accepted defeat"

Who needs spell check when you have this forum. LOL

I do recommend some way of testing S02 even if its just the Accuvin for now but a tester like what you stated is much better and hugely more accurate. I have not had my shots and I do have some distemper, piss me off and Ill show you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will want tartaric acid on hand also to adjust your Ta and Ph if needed. As far as ph meter goes, Hanna is great but there are others like Milwaukee, just get one that corrects for temp and has 2 point calibration. I and many others love the Hanna PHEP meter.

ok so the Hanna meter is it. I don't mind spending the money if it's worth it. The vinmetric meter looks like the best for me and the cheapest to use per test right?

Should I get the SO2 meter first since I'll be bottling some kits soon? Then the ph around the time the grapes come in?

Looking on amazon I see:
Extech PH100, PH110

Which one? Price is ok on all of them, so whatever is best. What else should I order with it?

...... I have not had my shots and I do have some distemper, piss me off and Ill show you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will want tartaric acid on hand also to adjust your Ta and Ph if needed. As far as ph meter goes, Hanna is great but there are others like Milwaukee, just get one that corrects for temp and has 2 point calibration. I and many others love the Hanna PHEP mete.....r.

Gee Wade, how about rabies, did you have your yearly shot for that or do we have to worry about that as well? :?

Looking on amazon I see:
Extech PH100, PH110

Which one? Price is ok on all of them, so whatever is best. What else should I order with it?

HI98128 is what most have. Get the 4.01 and 7.01 pH buffer solutions

I forget which one it is now as Ive been using the storing soltiuon but one of thiose solutions and I believe its the 4.01 you can use for storring your ph meter in so get a big bottle of that.

Regarding the Hanna pHep 5 (or any similar ph meter for that matter), can someone tell me how long I can expect the electrode to last, assuming I take proper care of it? The instructions at MoreWine say I can expect 12-18 months. That doesn't seem much time considering how expensive replacement electrodes are.

Thanks,
Jason

Ive never seen that, My friend has had his almost 3 years without replacing and it is still perfect. Mine is approaching 1 year so I cant give any statements. I will say that Im sure that it also depends on use meaning that that Toms would probably be needing replacement sooner then mine and yours! LOL

Back