Giving away your wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vern

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it legal to donate home made wine to a charity that will raffle to make money? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This depends on local laws. In most places in the USA you can give the wine to anyone of legal drinking age. Whether or not they can legally raffle it off is a completely different thing. You need to check with local sources to get a real answer.

I apply for the raffle license for a woodworking guild and I’ve seen something on this so I looked it up.

“there are no prohibitions on who can purchase raffle tickets. However if the prize is restricted by age then the restriction must be listed on the ticket. If someone would purchase a ticket that is not eligible to receive it you cannot award the prize to them.”

Of course the holder of the raffle license is responsible for this not you.

If it’s legal to give away wine to someone who is of age then you can do that.

I’ve seen wine purchased at a store raffled off with no problem. Or are you talking about a tax issue. No tax on home made wine?

I’ve seen wine purchased at a store raffled off with no problem. Or are you talking about a tax issue. No tax on home made wine?
There is a gulf between "no problem" and "legal". All it takes is one person to report it, or authorities to see an advertisement for the situation to come under legal scrutiny.

While I can't comment on the rest of the world, laws in the USA not only vary from state to state, they vary from county to county. NC has dry counties (no alcohol sales) where the situation is likely to be an problem. Hence my suggestion to check local laws. CYA.

There is a gulf between "no problem" and "legal". All it takes is one person to report it, or authorities to see an advertisement for the situation to come under legal scrutiny.

While I can't comment on the rest of the world, laws in the USA not only vary from state to state, they vary from county to county. NC has dry counties (no alcohol sales) where the situation is likely to be an problem. Hence my suggestion to check local laws. CYA.
I’m in NYS. We don’t have those issues. Although I remember living in SE Texas in a dry county and the first liquor store over the county line was owned by the local Sheriff.

I’m in NYS. We don’t have those issues. Although I remember living in SE Texas in a dry county and the first liquor store over the county line was owned by the local Sheriff.
I grew up in the Utica-Rome area. Things were a lot more open there.

NC has the ABC system, which is a real PITA. OTOH, I can go to Harris Teeter (grocery store) and buy from a large selection of wine.

Latest posts

Back