Girlie wine recomendation needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augryphon

Junior
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good kit to make for summer for my wife. She like light, sweet, wines. She usually orders white zin in a restaurant.

I would love to hear what you have made that you like. Remember, light, sweet, and drinkable by mid-May.

Thanks!

For light and sweet the orchard breezin kits seem to be pretty good. not much alcohol kick to them. I enjoyed a couple bottles a buddy of mine made of the blackberry merlot. Now he's got a blackberry cabernet going. It seemed to be pretty good .

Light sweet and drinkable in 30 days...............

The mist kits are nice and if you are looking for a wine with a little more abv or a tad less sweetness then you can play with these also. many have added a few pounds of sugar in the beginning to up the abv and so have I and they come out really nice. The W.E. White Merlot is also a very nice lighter kit without a ton of sweetness.
<table ="Catalog" id="productsnew" width="100%" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><t><tr><td ="table" width="2%" align="default"><div align="center">3279 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Cwsp_red_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

White Merlot

Medium pink rose' style wine with luscious berry flavors &amp; aromas with a crisp finish.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$96.99</td></tr></t></table>

Try a Viognier.

I'd probably to do thisone: Yakima Valley Viognier,

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?PartNumber=110857

An amazing, full-bodied, aromatic wine with a creamy mouth-feel. Unbelievable aromas and flavours of apricot,mango, pineapple, guava, kiwi, tangerine, orange blossom and spiced pear absolutely dazzle the senses. (Please Note: I have not tried it but I highly recommend the CC product)

Youmight be a littlelate for May but July would not be out of the question.

You could try the WE products too.The Viognier that I didwas a 7.5 L kit Vintner Reserve and at 6 months (today, I just tried some) it is finally coming around.

Jeff

Actually, if she usually orders White Zinfandel then I don't think you can go wrong with......White Zinfandel. At least you know beforehand that she likes it.

I'd go with a Mosti All-Juice White Zin kit but if that's a little more than you'd like to spend then go with the Mosti Vinefera Noble White Zin.

Of course if you must have it drinkable by mid-May then I guess I'd go with the Exotic Fruits White Zinfandel or Strawberry White Merlot from Island Mist OR the Raspberry White Zin, Strawberry White Zinfandel or Watermelon White Merlot from Orchard Breezin' OR the Strawberry White Zinfandel or Wild Berry White Zinfandel from Vinotheque.

Gee, I really narrowed it down for you, didn't I?
smiley36.gif

I would highly reommend doing the Strawberry White Zinfandel

It is definitely one of the Island Mist or Orchard Breezing kits for you. Also as stated, the White Zin kits are very good. I have never made a Mosti White Zin but will next time I make a Zin. I have made a few of the Wine Expert Selection Series WZ and they are fantastic and drinkable not long after bottling. If you made one now, it might be acceptable to drink by Mid Mad but an Island Mist kit is probably the way to go.

The IM Strawberry White Merlot was a huge hit at my house last year. I added half of the F pack and 2# of sugar for an abv of about 9.5% and everyone loved it.

Thanks PeterZ, but if you are in Oakland in Fayette Co. TN, there's no need for me to make anything, I'll just drive up and sample yours!!
smiley36.gif

I think I have one bottle of that wine left. A bunch went to my daughter, and SWMBO and her friends made major inroads on the rest. Will probably do another batch later this year for summer 2010 consumption.

Just last weekend I bottled a Green Apple Reisling made to the same formula. That one came out a little hot (~12% abv) but it is mellowing with age. Will be good for this summer. I have 24 beer bottles and 16 750 ml wine bottles of it.

I'm going to start a Mosti Mondiali Meglioli Amarone this weekend. You are welcome to come up and assist. PM me your phone number.

Orchard Breezin Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio - Also the Cranberry Chianti is good - both of these are amazing - I have friends that beg me to make more and want cases of bottles (if only I was smart enough to sell the stuff)

My wife loves the Sangria with Oranges kit (Orchard Breezin') - we have made it twice now. Also,we drew my sister-in-law for the Christmas giftand she said that all she wanted was "some of that sangria"....

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?PartNumber=14876

I also had good success with the Black Raspberry Merlot (Island Mist) that I made for my parents (who also like sweet, fruity wines) - they brought some out at a New Year's Eve party and two bottles were consumed in rapid fashion after which there were not willing to share any more- and these bottles were served at the start of the party - notafter everyone was intoxicated!

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDet.asp?PartNumber=HAR003

PeterZ said:
The IM Strawberry White Merlot was a huge hit at my house last year. I added half of the F pack and 2# of sugar for an abv of about 9.5% and everyone loved it.

Peter, why did you change the recipe? I am interested because I started a SWM today. The initial SG for my kitwas 1.050 @ 75*.

He did this as a lot of us do to up the abv so it will last a little longer on the shelf and not be so wimpy. Some of us who like the sweetness just add 4lbs of sugar up front and hen add all or what ever they feel like adding at the end to their liking.

So he added the sugar up front? (I guess this changed his initial SG?) Do I still have time to do that or am I committed?

You can add additional sugar any time before stabilizing. My goal was 9.5% abv ( a little gutsier than the wine was designed for ) and not too sweet. That's why I added half of the F pack at the beginning (I didn't want to lose the flavor) and a couple of pounds of sugar.

If you want to add sugar now be sure to take a sg reading before and after so you can calculate the increase in abv.

How should I add the sugar? Mix with H20 or just pour in or mix with some of the fermenting wine?

Use a simple sugar syrup. It will dissolve and dissipate much easier into the wine than just adding dry sugar.

Edit - Didn't read your question right.

Use some of the wine if you want. Nothing wrong with that.

Latest posts

Back