Getting ready for my first try at frozen must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColemanM

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Thanks for your help and dedication to all the members on this forum. You all are an amazing database of knowledge, humor and sometimes debate :)
I am about to get my first two 5 gallon pails of frozen must. They are a cab and a merlot. Both are 24 brix, and .55 TA but the cab pH is 3.7 and merlot is 3.8 what would be the best plan of action? Would I be trying to get the pH down to 3.6 or TA up to about .8? I have about ten days to prep so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Oh, I plan on individually fermenting them. Cab with BM4x4 and the merlot with D80. Any thoughts there would also be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I think your yeast choices are fine. For pH, I'd shoot for 3.4-3.6. But honestly, acid is relative to residual sugar, if any. A 0.996 wine will tolerate less acid than one that is at 1.000. I think .8 TA is too high for a red, but that's just my opinion. I'd go more for .6-.65

I would verify these numbers prior to fermentation before adjusting them. Ie, let it thaw and soak for a bit and then measure.

+1 on both comments.

I like to split my yeast, so I would get 2 more 5 gal buckets. Split each frozen bucket between 2 buckets once you make your adjustments.
Once your yeast are rehydrated, split them between the buckets so that you have Cab1 with D80 and Cab2 with 4x4, and Merlot1 with D80 and Merlot2 with 4x4. Recombine the Cab and merlots when you press.

I also like to do 2nd runs, so pick up a cheap 5 gal bucket of Sangiovese juice, or a cheap red kit, and have this ready to add to your freshly pressed skins. No need to add any more yeast, just followup with nutrients as if it was a standard ferment. These will take off fast and give you another 5gal of house red with quite a bit more character than the juice or kit alone.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back