RJ Spagnols Gelatin or Time to reduce tannin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwatson

Reaction score
I have an RJS Cru select Valpolicella Ripassa that has been bulk aging for 7 mos. I added some Tanin VR Supra during primary fermentation. The taste is very nice yet it may have a bit too much tannin. I have read how gelatin will reduce the amount of tannin. I do not really want to mess with it, since it is already nice. Will time in the bottle mellow out the tannin? Thanks!

hi... well sure the time will help you maybe in increase the tannin quality of the wine. But whether it will be enough or not, it depends by the tannins quality it has inside. For exemple, if they are acid tannins (like green tannins), it will not helpful waiting for a tannin reduction. If they are just astringent, it will help. About myself, i think that bottle aging is not anymore suitable, since if a customer buy a bottle, he wants to drink it, not waiting untill it will be avaible. It's time we producer have to change our selling perspectives, in order to conditioning the wine when they are really on the top of the quality. You can also use gelatine in the following therms: high MW gelatine (to be dissolved in warm water) to decrease astringence, low MW gelatine (to be dissolved in cold water) to decrease acid tannins content. Any answer will be gratefull accepted. Paolo Pineschi

Back